Welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose1981

I am working on a welding shelter and the clients need (4) 240V, 1ph, 50A receptacles for welding machine installed on the columns, since the shelter is an open canopy. I wonder what are the different installation options to install the receptacles. The receptacles will be circuited to one of the panelboards located in the adjacent building.

thanks!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am working on a welding shelter and the clients need (4) 240V, 1ph, 50A receptacles for welding machine installed on the columns, since the shelter is an open canopy. I wonder what are the different installation options to install the receptacles. The receptacles will be circuited to one of the panelboards located in the adjacent building.

thanks!

Is the shelter canopy attached at one side to the adjacent building or is it free-standing? By "open canopy" do you mean a roofed area with no walls, similar to what one might find in a picnic area?

rose1981

Is the shelter canopy attached at one side to the adjacent building or is it free-standing? By "open canopy" do you mean a roofed area with no walls, similar to what one might find in a picnic area?

Its is a free standing canopy with no walls. You are right, it has only roof.

rose1981

You need to know if your AHJ considers that a structure. 225.30 is an issue if he does.

I just had a look at the code...What I understood is that if the canopy is considered as a structure, I shouldn't be running multiple branch circuits to the canopy. Is that right? But then , the panel board that feeds these receptacles in not a service entrance panelboard. It is one of the panelboards feeding the receptacles inside the building.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I just had a look at the code...What I understood is that if the canopy is considered as a structure, I shouldn't be running multiple branch circuits to the canopy. Is that right? But then , the panel board that feeds these receptacles in not a service entrance panelboard. It is one of the panelboards feeding the receptacles inside the building.

That doesn't mean you can't drop a 100 amp double pole breaker in the panelboard (assuming 120/240) and feed a sub-panel (or sub-sub-panel if you want to look at it that way) at the canopy, assuming correct listings for the equipment and space/capacity in the panelboard under discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.