Welding receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose1981

I wonder if a 240V, 16.6A rated Mig welder can be plugged into a 60A, 250V receptacle. Will the cable be protected by a 60 Amp breaker?

mwm1752

Does the operation/installatiop instructions have an max amp for the circuit -- do you have to repalce the cord cap -- the breaker protects the branch circiut/ feeder conductors only

will it work sure it will but if you are asking a code question then more info my be needed

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sure why not.
???

Uh, maybe because if it is a 16A rated cord, it will catch on fire long before a 60A breaker will trip?

rose1981
If the welder has it's own internal 16A circuit breaker, it might be OK technically but at the same time, what I said above still holds true; they likely used some sort of power cord similar to our 12ga, maybe less, whcih is not going to be protected by a 60A breaker. 16A also is a clue that this is a foreign welder, because 16A is an IEC limit for certain harmonics issues (which is problematic for them with portable welders). Because of that, make sure you check that this welder will work here because it was likely designed for 50Hz operation; it shouldn't matter but it might. Also for them, 240V is line and Neutral, which might mean a N-G internal connection which would be a problem here.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
???

Uh, maybe because if it is a 16A rated cord, it will catch on fire long before a 60A breaker will trip?

rose1981
If the welder has it's own internal 16A circuit breaker, it might be OK technically but at the same time, what I said above still holds true; they likely used some sort of power cord similar to our 12ga, maybe less, whcih is not going to be protected by a 60A breaker. 16A also is a clue that this is a foreign welder, because 16A is an IEC limit for certain harmonics issues (which is problematic for them with portable welders). Because of that, make sure you check that this welder will work here because it was likely designed for 50Hz operation; it shouldn't matter but it might. Also for them, 240V is line and Neutral, which might mean a N-G internal connection which would be a problem here.

Miller 211's are 16.6 amps at 240 volts. Specs say they come with their own cord.

https://www.imperialsupplies.com/item/9174931?service=/browse/

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
???

Naturally. But why would a functionally sound 16 amp rated piece of equipment ever pull 60 amps continuously?

rose1981

You are correct. They don't look like 60 amp plugs, either.

The OP may have a different welder. I was just pointing out an example.

The client is not sure what equipment will be plugged into the receptacle. they may plug this 16.6 A miller welder or maybe something else. So i was just curious in case they plug 16.6A miller, will it catch fire before the 60A breaker trips.

Thank you all for replying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.