Transformer Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Scenario: 240v single phase two wire system supply transformer "A" with 480 v secondary.
Primary OCP at 125%. Two-wire Two-wire system with adequately sized secondary conductors to meet 240.21(C)(1) (no secondary OCP). Secondary of transformer "A" feeds transformer "B" which steps 480 back down to 240/120. Transformer "B" has 125% secondary protection.
Does Transformer B need overcurrent protection and does it need a disconnecting means ?

Scenario: 240v single phase two wire system supply transformer "A" with 480 v secondary.
Primary OCP at 125%. Two-wire Two-wire system with adequately sized secondary conductors to meet 240.21(C)(1) (no secondary OCP). Secondary of transformer "A" feeds transformer "B" which steps 480 back down to 240/120. Transformer "B" has 125% secondary protection.
Does Transformer B need overcurrent protection and does it need a disconnecting means ?

Awesome question. I have pondered this. Let me confirm that you are thinking what I am thinking: 450.3(B) does not seem to have any allowance for not having primary protection, but it seems logical to apply the principle in 240.21(C)(1) to the "B" transformer. Am I with you?

Regarding disconnecting means, I see no requirement.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Yes. Since 240.21(C)(1) allows the primary to protect the secondary conductors in this situation could that (primary on transformer "A") not also be transformer "B"'s protection ?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
450.14 Disconnecting Means. Transformers, other than Class
2 or Class 3 transformers, shall have a disconnecting means
located either in sight of the transformer or in a remote location.
Where located in a remote location, the disconnecting
means shall be lockable in accordance with 110.25, and its
location shall be field marked on the transformer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
450.14 Disconnecting Means. Transformers, other than Class
2 or Class 3 transformers, shall have a disconnecting means
located either in sight of the transformer or in a remote location.
Where located in a remote location, the disconnecting
means shall be lockable in accordance with 110.25, and its
location shall be field marked on the transformer.

understand.. and there is a lockable disconnect on transformer A which could serve as "B's" disconnect. For conversations sake, assume we do need to install a disconnect at "B", can it be non-fusible ?

understand.. and there is a lockable disconnect on transformer A which could serve as "B's" disconnect.

Right. That is what I meant by my "no disconnect requirement" comment. Should have said, "I dont see any requirement for a transformer specific disconnect."

As far as the protection goes, The more I think about, I would say the proposal is perfectly acceptable. The fact is the transformer is protected, simple as that. 450 doesnt give a specific requirement for where this protection must be or that it has to be 'dedicated' protection, and I think the laws of physics are fairly reliable :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.