Conduit mounting UL listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Fulton

Have conduits to install up the exterior of concrete light poles. Do not want to drill into them to risk problem with wind load calcs. To band it would look bad. Found some epoxy on 1/4 x 20 studs, but someone said they have to be UL listed for that application. My question is, are the anchors and associated screws we would normally use UL listed? I never checked.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Have conduits to install up the exterior of concrete light poles. Do not want to drill into them to risk problem with wind load calcs. To band it would look bad. Found some epoxy on 1/4 x 20 studs, but someone said they have to be UL listed for that application. My question is, are the anchors and associated screws we would normally use UL listed? I never checked.
I don't think they are and, in general, supports are not required to be a listed product.

iwire

Staff member

I am going to guess that the pole maker would be just as against running a conduit it up it as blasting some tech screws into it.

Carultch

I don't think you are going to find a UL-Listed fastener for a conduit support. The NEC doesn't prescribe how to design structural supports for conduit.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
A few 3/16 holes for tapcons would do what now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carultch

The OP is concerned about any holes compromising the structural integrity of the pole. I will add that the most heavily loaded part of the pole, both in terms of wind load and dead load, is usually right at the base. So if the pole has a uniform diameter, don't worry about it. It is stronger than it needs to be already, at any point that would be at least 3 ft above the bottom, where you'd need to mount a conduit.

If the pole is tapered, it might be a different story. But usually, a few tiny holes for auxiliary mounting aren't significant enough to matter. If you use epoxy anchors, the added benefit is that they restore some (not all) of the tensile strength at that point, above what a dry fastener hole would do.

jusme123

Occupation
JW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, if a couple of 3/16" holes are going to compromise the integrity of a light pole, its time to look for a different light pole. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.