Sub-feed lugs vs standard lugs in a bolt-down application

Status
Not open for further replies.

s-park-er

Occupation
Building mechanic - specialty problem-solver.
Looking for thoughts or admonishments regarding using standard lugs bolted to the bolt-down terminals of a QOB panelboard as opposed to use of sub-feed lugs installed in the breaker spaces? Assuming the space cover blanks would be labelled accordingly.
Electrically there would be no real difference, but code may say otherwise... :blink:

templdl

Looking for thoughts or admonishments regarding using standard lugs bolted to the bolt-down terminals of a QOB panelboard as opposed to use of sub-feed lugs installed in the breaker spaces? Assuming the space cover blanks would be labelled accordingly.
Electrically there would be no real difference, but code may say otherwise... :blink:
If this were my application questing I would simply make a call to the panel manufacturer and ask them. My intent would be to get a correct answer that would comply with the panel's UL listing. The manufacture may even have a UL listed field modification available that would fit your application. But when you do consult with the manufacture you may risk getting an ananswer that you don't want to hear. This is why it is very common to avoid calling the manufacture and rely on others ft or their opinion. I prefer getting my answers right from the horse's mouth myself in order to get a correct answer.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

I would think there would be an electrical difference.
I don't think you ever get as good a connection by using the small screws to bolt a standard lug onto the buss bar as you would get by using the Subfeed lug kit made for the panel.

but that's just my opinion.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.