line connection options in a disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I will install an outside disconnect (200 amp) beside the meter on a residence. I would like to connect the line conductors from the meter to the two lugs mounted on the two bus bars instead of on the 200 amp breaker itself. (The remodeling situation existing wire length into the house makes this my best option) I have another small breaker I want to install in the disconnect for an outside building. The only thing is, that the house panel will not be fed from it's own breaker. That 200 amp main breaker will feed the bus bars including a 60 amp breaker plus the two lugs on the end of the bus bars that feed the house 200 amp panel. Do you see a problem with this? Thank you

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I will install an outside disconnect (200 amp) beside the meter on a residence. I would like to connect the line conductors from the meter to the two lugs mounted on the two bus bars instead of on the 200 amp breaker itself. (The remodeling situation existing wire length into the house makes this my best option) I have another small breaker I want to install in the disconnect for an outside building. The only thing is, that the house panel will not be fed from it's own breaker. That 200 amp main breaker will feed the bus bars including a 60 amp breaker plus the two lugs on the end of the bus bars that feed the house 200 amp panel. Do you see a problem with this? Thank you
Maybe I'm just being thick, but I couldn't follow that.

Are you saying you are installing a 200A BREAKER (not a "disconnect" switch) as the disconnect next to the meter, in a panel with feed-through lugs that will also have a 60A breaker down stream of the 200A main, then the feed-through lugs will go out to the house panel? That seems legit if everything is listed and labeled properly.

But when you say "I would like to connect the line conductors from the meter to the two lugs mounted on the two bus bars instead of on the 200 amp breaker itself", that's where I lose you. If you terminate the lines from the meter to the bus, then feed off of that same bus to the house panel, where is the 200A breaker in the circuit? At some point, the power must go THROUGH the 200A breaker.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Maybe I'm just being thick, but I couldn't follow that.

Are you saying you are installing a 200A BREAKER (not a "disconnect" switch) as the disconnect next to the meter, in a panel with feed-through lugs that will also have a 60A breaker down stream of the 200A main, then the feed-through lugs will go out to the house panel? That seems legit if everything is listed and labeled properly.

But when you say "I would like to connect the line conductors from the meter to the two lugs mounted on the two bus bars instead of on the 200 amp breaker itself", that's where I lose you. If you terminate the lines from the meter to the bus, then feed off of that same bus to the house panel, where is the 200A breaker in the circuit? At some point, the power must go THROUGH the 200A breaker.
I'm sorry, I am the one who is "thick!" I typed it wrong ! I meant to say I would like to connect the line conductors from the meter to the 200 main breaker in the disconnect and the connect the conductors feeding the house panel to the two lugs down on the bus bars. So, the 200 amp CB will feed an extra 60 amp cb and then feed down to the lugs feeding the house.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
239ace18-ff06-40a6-8575-04dcb67728d2
239ace18-ff06-40a6-8575-04dcb67728d2
see attachment

Attachments

• IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 2

mwm1752

As long as the existing feeder conductors going to the interior panel is protected by the 200 a main per 240.6 it should be ok -- that is what the feed thru buss is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.