Termination of multiple grounding electrode conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdiv

Electrical Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Inspector
As an electrician I thought I knew the code pretty well. As an inspector, now, I am constantly flipping through my code book to make sure that I was taught/am remembering correctly. Usually I can find what I need, but this time I'm having trouble.
I looked at a house today where somebody installed a #8 GEC (too small for the 200A service - the building inspector missed this when he did his footings inspection) to the concrete-encased electrode, which the electrician ran to the main panel (service disconnect). He then drove 2 groundrods & ran that #6 GEC to the meter socket.
250.50 says that all grounding electrodes present shall be bonded together. First, if the foundation GEC is too small, is the rebar still considered a usable electrode? Second, if that GEC were properly sized, shouldn't the two GEC's terminate at the same point? Or can one be in the meter and one in the panel? What section should I be looking at?
Thanks
JD

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The multiple electrodes can be connected at multiple points from the service drop to the service disconnect. The attachment to the CEE needs to a #4 so to use the CEE you would need to chop out part of the footing and attach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.