Is there a rule that commercial lighting and receptacle circuits can only be 20A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'm working on the old Snap-On factory in Natick, MA and there are a bunch of NM cables feeding the lights and receptacles for the front office area.

It's a mix of threaded NM and slightly newer NM (but before yellow 12). But one cable is 14 gauge. Of course it was on a 20A breaker.

Even so, is there a rule that says you can't have a 15A receptacle or lighting circuit in a commercial environment?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In some jurisdictions, like NYC where #14 conductors are prohibited for branch circuits, you would see 20 amp circuits for everything.

GerryB

I'm working on the old Snap-On factory in Natick, MA and there are a bunch of NM cables feeding the lights and receptacles for the front office area.

It's a mix of threaded NM and slightly newer NM (but before yellow 12). But one cable is 14 gauge. Of course it was on a 20A breaker.

Even so, is there a rule that says you can't have a 15A receptacle or lighting circuit in a commercial environment?
Guess I'll ask. What is threaded NM?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Sorry, I meant the old cloth jacket with the undersized ground. "Threaded" made sense in my head when I typed it.

Thanks iwire for the local response.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
"Threaded" is the old type R or RW tinned copper which had fine threads around the rubber insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.