What section for floating docks behind resid. single fa homes on navigable salt water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excel1992

AHJ in City of Naples FL are using 682 for floating concrete boat docks on salt water canals. Seems to me it should be applied to
ponds, rivers but not seeing the dividing line.

Steve

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Seems to me that 682 would apply. It includes natural (which your canal is not) and artificially made (which your canal is) bodies of water. What is the question? Is there some requirement in 682 that you think should not be applied to a project of yours?

mgookin

AHJ in City of Naples FL are using 682 for floating concrete boat docks on salt water canals. Seems to me it should be applied to
ponds, rivers but not seeing the dividing line.

Steve

The old NFPA 70A is no longer used in Florida. NFPA 70A was never updated after 2005 and it does not have an article 682, but that's moot now anyway.

The Florida Building Code, Residential has electrical provisions in it. Those provisions, however limited in scope they are, are extracted verbatim from NFPA 70.
It says that for electrical installations not addressed in the Florida Building Code, Residential refer to NFPA 70.

You're on the 2011 edition NFPA 70 which you'll need to follow. You can get free online access from NFPA.org if you need it.

I agree the wording in the scope of Art 682 is poorly written. It should say "Natural and artificial bodies of water including but not limited to oceans, bays, rivers, creeks, ponds, ..." instead of retention ponds or whatever they say.

PS: Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.