Home Appliances Damage From Rain Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpinetree

We have been installing sycom surges for a number of years.
Here are the installation instructions - Link to PDF: http://sycomsurge.com/~sycomsur/images/products/Installation%20T2%201-Phase.pdf
Sycom should honor the protected equipment warranty no matter where in the panel the SPD was installed. Be aware their warranty covers electro-mechanical equipment, not electronics.

The SPD is not required to be installed at the top of the panel (or nearest the feed conductors). As others have said surge is a bit mystical. We ALWAYS recommend plug in surges at EVERY appliance (Dishwasher, microwave, fridge, TV, stereo, etc) as well as the panel mounted unit. Most of the plug in units will cover electronics.

In addition a lot of the surges we see in Southwest Florida originate on the Low Voltage, as another stated - be sure to protect the phone and CATV lines coming into the house (This is often more expensive than the high voltage protection)
The pictures speak for themselves. ;)
DSCF3387 (Medium).JPG
DSCF3388 (Medium).JPG

goodoboy

We have been installing sycom surges for a number of years.
Here are the installation instructions - Link to PDF: http://sycomsurge.com/~sycomsur/images/products/Installation T2 1-Phase.pdf
Sycom should honor the protected equipment warranty no matter where in the panel the SPD was installed. Be aware their warranty covers electro-mechanical equipment, not electronics.

The SPD is not required to be installed at the top of the panel (or nearest the feed conductors). As others have said surge is a bit mystical. We ALWAYS recommend plug in surges at EVERY appliance (Dishwasher, microwave, fridge, TV, stereo, etc) as well as the panel mounted unit. Most of the plug in units will cover electronics.

In addition a lot of the surges we see in Southwest Florida originate on the Low Voltage, as another stated - be sure to protect the phone and CATV lines coming into the house (This is often more expensive than the high voltage protection)
The pictures speak for themselves. ;)
View attachment 14820
View attachment 14821

Thank you so much cpinetree for this update.

Good information.

My sycom SP is showing green light, does that means its working?

How can I protect the protect the phone and CATV lines coming into the house?

I order about 7 these for the oven, microwave, refrigerator, garage door, etc. Belkin Single Outlet MasterCube Wall-Mount Surge Protector, F9H120-CW I will have a SP on everything that gets plugged in the wall.

I order this to protection of HDTV, computer, video game, cable box. Tripp Lite 10 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip Tel/Modem/Coax 8ft Cord

Thanks all for help.

JFletcher

How can I protect the protect the phone and CATV lines coming into the house?

You can get something like this:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/w...-cnky14cY0ABNUEAC_hEMvf9XZxqMb89irxoC8anw_wcB

or a screw in style for the cable demarc:

http://www.amazon.com/TII-Broadband-Cable-Lightning-Protector/dp/B0016AIYU6

on the telephone side, a unit like I first linked usually has telephone ports also. if the telephone lines are being backfed from a cable line, you will need a cable demarc surge protector

cpinetree

goodoboy

The green light usually means its still doing its job, But it will need to be removed and sent to Sycom for warranty any way.

Sycom warranty pdf - http://sycomsurge.com/~sycomsur/images/products/Warranty%20T2%201-%20Phase.pdf

Claims need to be made within 15 days, and the unit returned within 30 days.

Thank you,

When you install the SP, do you terminate the SO ground to the panel ground bar, are directly to the ground stick in the grass?

My SP is installed to the panel Neutral bar and neutral bar is wired to the ground bar.
Thanks

user 100

Thank you,

My SP is installed to the panel Neutral bar and neutral bar is wired to the ground bar.
Thanks

Then the sp installation is correct in that regard- the g.e. (rod), neutral bar and ground bar are all connected together, so no need to wire directly to the ge.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Be aware their warranty covers electro-mechanical equipment, not electronics.

To me that is a huge red flag that they do not warranty the equipment that is the reason the unit would be installed.

Electro-mechanical equipment is almost never hurt by a surge.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To me that is a huge red flag that they do not warranty the equipment that is the reason the unit would be installed.

Electro-mechanical equipment is almost never hurt by a surge.
It is increasingly hard these days to find even electromechanical equipment that does not also contain electronics in controls, etc.

DanS26

You have been hit multiple times, yet you are focusing on the SPD's. Before blaming the SPD's or lack thereof, look at your grounding system.

Do you have one or more auxiliary ground rods ANYWHERE on your property that are not bonded to the grounding electrode at the main disconnect? Look around.......techs drive rods all over the place.....telephone, TV antenna, generators, cable, satellite dishes, etc.

If you have un-bonded rods....very likely you are experiencing step potential voltage gradients.

Status
Not open for further replies.