Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is a new paragraph in 2014. It allows putting a receptacle outlet on a dimmer switch intended to be used for lighting. But it has special requirements for the plug and receptacle. Makes perfect sense, as it prevents anyone from inadvertently dimming their radio.

Quick question. Was this explicitly forbidden in earlier editions, or merely not mentioned? I can't find anything similar in 2011.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Thanks, Bob. I see that the concern is not new, but the rules have been clarified.

I am reviewing a design that includes dimmed receptacles for lighting. I had expected that to be illegal, but then I saw the 2014 rule cited in the title of this thread.

iwire

Staff member
Thanks, Bob. I see that the concern is not new, but the rules have been clarified.

I am reviewing a design that includes dimmed receptacles for lighting. I had expected that to be illegal, but then I saw the 2014 rule cited in the title of this thread.

I am guessing that someone pointed out that the rule belonged in 404 in place of, or in addition to 406.

Status
Not open for further replies.