Why is it hard to find 480 volt hid ballasts nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The electrical supply houses (Greybar) cant even get 70 watt 480 volt high pressure sodium ballasts anymore, so I looked online and its hard to even find 480 volt of any type ballasts anymore. Anyone know why this would be? And the few I found the price jumps way up, I thought these were common everywhere with parking and street lighting.

iwire

Staff member
I don't see many if any site lighting using 480 volt for low wattage fixtures like 70 and 100s, those will be 277 or 120 volts

When we get to 400 or 1,000 watt fixtures 480 becomes very common.

mgookin

I was told by a source at Osram/ Sylvania that products in the lighting industry have a tendency to "self-obsolete" themselves. If nobody's ordering it, they stop producing it. If nobody reorders, they never produce any more. It's not officially discontinued, there's just no stock to be had. Trying to find 1's & 2's on something like that can be very challenging. If you can find an old catalog number you might find someone who has some stock. The manufacturer may be able to help you with that. If you have a customer who needs them regularly and you can find some, they may want to buy a few extras.

JFletcher

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The electrical supply houses (Greybar) cant even get 70 watt 480 volt high pressure sodium ballasts anymore, so I looked online and its hard to even find 480 volt of any type ballasts anymore. Anyone know why this would be? And the few I found the price jumps way up, I thought these were common everywhere with parking and street lighting.

a lot of lighting applications are shifting towards LED's.
and 70 watt HPS isn't something that i'd think is hugely in demand.

I don't see many if any site lighting using 480 volt for low wattage fixtures like 70 and 100s, those will be 277 or 120 volts

When we get to 400 or 1,000 watt fixtures 480 becomes very common.

This is a county park and most of my parks have 480 volt ran for obvious reasons, long distance, less amperage, I dont imagine I can change the voltage because of the wire and loads were based on 480 volt. Plus I dont want to change it, I see nothing wrong with 480 volt parking lot and street lighting.

Last edited:
I agree led is getting popular but still way too expensive and from what I have heard retrofitting is not very user friendly. Plus I work for government and they wont spend the money. I was going to change them to metal halide, but still those are becoming obsolete.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.