Interconnected Smoke alarms - one keeps chirping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbrehler

Hey all,

I have a client who complained that one of their smoke alarms started chirping. They changed batteries, but it still kept chirping. So they did the next best thing. They ripped it out of the ceiling!

I went over and tried installing a new smoke detector. It, too, started chirping after about 1/2 and hour. I've seen circumstances where one bad smoke has caused one or another to chirp. Don't ask me why, but that was what I have seen.

After looking at the dates on the smoke detectors I informed the client that they should all be changed out since they were going on 10 years old. Also, that some rogue detector was signaling that smoke to chirp. So, I did. I changed out all 7 of them throughout the house (one in each bedroom, and one outside and each floor). I get a call about 16 hours later that the very same smoke detector that I was called out on was chirping again. Once every thirty seconds or so...which, indicates a low battery condition. Once again, I put a brand new smoke detector in with a FRESH battery. I called his a few days later to check in with them about a light I was working on for them. I asked about the smoke detectors and he once again informed me that he had to rip it off the ceiling at 2:00 a.m. because it started to chirp.

Now, aside from telling him that the house is haunted, can anyone explain what the &%^! is going on? I checked for loose connections, dust, ectoplasmic residue, etc. But, I am perplexed and a bit embarrassed that I don't have an answer for him.

Thanks for any input...

mgookin

So they're all brand new smoke detectors. Look at date of manufacture and make sure someone (maybe online) did not sell you or them a box of old smokes.
Do they all have new batteries? I'd suggest remove each battery, even if new, and put a voltmeter on them.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hey all,

I have a client who complained that one of their smoke alarms started chirping. They changed batteries, but it still kept chirping. So they did the next best thing. They ripped it out of the ceiling!

I went over and tried installing a new smoke detector. It, too, started chirping after about 1/2 and hour. I've seen circumstances where one bad smoke has caused one or another to chirp. Don't ask me why, but that was what I have seen.

After looking at the dates on the smoke detectors I informed the client that they should all be changed out since they were going on 10 years old. Also, that some rogue detector was signaling that smoke to chirp. So, I did. I changed out all 7 of them throughout the house (one in each bedroom, and one outside and each floor). I get a call about 16 hours later that the very same smoke detector that I was called out on was chirping again. Once every thirty seconds or so...which, indicates a low battery condition. Once again, I put a brand new smoke detector in with a FRESH battery. I called his a few days later to check in with them about a light I was working on for them. I asked about the smoke detectors and he once again informed me that he had to rip it off the ceiling at 2:00 a.m. because it started to chirp.

Now, aside from telling him that the house is haunted, can anyone explain what the &%^! is going on? I checked for loose connections, dust, ectoplasmic residue, etc. But, I am perplexed and a bit embarrassed that I don't have an answer for him.

Thanks for any input...

Kidde's website says that the alarm will chirp if the "Hush" feature is activated. If that isn't it, follow the link and send them a question. Assuming that the smoke alarm is a Kidde, of course.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Any chance there are noise spikes on the interconnect wire? Does that alarm sound when isolated from the rest?
What do they do when AC fails and they are on battery? Or are they battery only?

sbrehler

Thanks for the input...

Yes, they are Kidde. Didn't try isolating since sometimes it takes hours before it will do it again. All new smokes (3 mths ago based on mfg. date), BRAND new batts. I know about the hush feature. But like I mention, sometimes it will be hours before a chirp. :( Well, I'll check with Kidde and see if they have any ideas. In the mean time, my client is just using that one in battery mode only (no chirping with that). I showed him how to remove the device without ripping it off the ceiling!!:blink:

Thanks again...

iwire

Staff member
In the mean time, my client is just using that one in battery mode only (no chirping with that).

That strongly suggests there is an issue with the line voltage supplying the unit.

Any chance at all it is on a switched circuit by accident?

Or a loss connection, because it sounds like it is losing the 120 feed at times.

sbrehler

Thing is, they have been good to go for 9+ years. No switching. I'm wondering if there isn't some stray signal coming from somewhere. funny! I have another client who has a bunch of remote controlled shutters that after switching out a control module, some shutters open/close when they shouldn't. Makes me wonder if all this IoT's stuff isn't getting out of control. So much spurious EMF flying around! :happyno: I'm waiting for the stories of garbage disposals attacking homeowners when they try to run them with their cell phones! :D

iwire

Staff member
I agree, a loose connection is really the only explanation

If there was some 'odd' signal on the interconnect wire all of them would be chirping.

seth207

Call kidde. Their tech support is pretty good. Is there any light flashing? Is this a carbon combo unit?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

growler

Check for an old one in a closet nearby. I have came across this problem twice.

I agree, a loose connection is really the only explanation

If there was some 'odd' signal on the interconnect wire all of them would be chirping.

I agree that this one is probably a loose connection.

But JZE14 does make a good point about finding all the smoke detectors. I have found some that were above drop ceiling in basements and one in an attic and and even one where the ceiling that had been lowered and sheetrocked. I have found that remodeling contractors (handymen) will hide a smoke detector and think nothing of it.

mgookin

I agree that this one is probably a loose connection.

But JZE14 does make a good point about finding all the smoke detectors. I have found some that were above drop ceiling in basements and one in an attic and and even one where the ceiling that had been lowered and sheetrocked. I have found that remodeling contractors (handymen) will hide a smoke detector and think nothing of it.

Hold one in alarm mode and have someone walk the building.

growler

Hold one in alarm mode and have someone walk the building.

If there is another one close by and with all the noise that doesn't always work.

I find that if you disconnect all of the one's that you know about except one and and then use the alarm mode you may get a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.