Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 2

growler

I thought I has seen every possible rigged electrical device known to man but I guess not. That took some thought. These people probably never herd of box extensions and wire nuts and a few inches of wire.

JFletcher

I thought backstabbed receptacles were bad, now we have frontstabbed! :p

Longer screws, which had to be used anyway, and those rubber stackers with an extension ring = win. It always amazes me that people rig crap like this when the proper way would have been cheaper, faster, and code compliant.

growler

Likely a switched outlet. Lol

That's what I was going to suggest but I had to find a magnifying glass to see and I still can tell if that tab is broken. It doesn't look in good shape if it not broken.

Most of the time when I see these it's just long screws and likey no spacers with the cover plate being the only thing holding the receptacle as something is plugged in. These people didn't even attempt to remove the old receptacle and I do wonder why.

I have removed some old receptacles in basements (metal boxes in block) that when removeing the whole box would just crumble to rust and dust. Then the customer wonders why it takes so long to change out a receptacle.

kwired

Electron manager
That's what I was going to suggest but I had to find a magnifying glass to see and I still can tell if that tab is broken. It doesn't look in good shape if it not broken.

Most of the time when I see these it's just long screws and likey no spacers with the cover plate being the only thing holding the receptacle as something is plugged in. These people didn't even attempt to remove the old receptacle and I do wonder why.

I have removed some old receptacles in basements (metal boxes in block) that when removeing the whole box would just crumble to rust and dust. Then the customer wonders why it takes so long to change out a receptacle.
Maybe they did attempt to remove it and the conductors were so short the device only pulled out a quarter inch max. Plan B was then followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.