Splicing in Conduit bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a discussion my Master and I are having with what appears to be a contradiction to 314.16 (c) with 250.148. He is saying that you can not splice or terminate equipment in a conduit body unless it can be grounded to the body. I say as long as i am not connecting any equipment in the conduit body this does not apply to splicing conductors in the conduit body that is clearly marked and labeled with the cu in.
Also the code says that if
Splices are made in a conduit body then it is then considered a "box".
This is an industrial application with rigid conduit that is bonded the the steel structure.
Trying to upload the statement in the code book were i took a picture and try and get it on here NEC 2011

MD84

A splice in a conduit body does not require any additional bonding.

Do not use a conduit body for terminating equipment. A conduit body is not an outlet.

I think the issue here is confusing a splice with terminations.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is a discussion my Master and I are having with what appears to be a contradiction to 314.16 (c) with 250.148. He is saying that you can not splice or terminate equipment in a conduit body unless it can be grounded to the body. I say as long as i am not connecting any equipment in the conduit body this does not apply to splicing conductors in the conduit body that is clearly marked and labeled with the cu in.
Also the code says that if
Splices are made in a conduit body then it is then considered a "box".
This is an industrial application with rigid conduit that is bonded the the steel structure.
Trying to upload the statement in the code book were i took a picture and try and get it on here NEC 2011

250.148 makes no mention of conduit bodies as it applies only to boxes. A conduit body, even if used for splices, is not a box.

Hoping the link works for what he is interpreting from a quote in his code book.
I agree with what all of you are saying it's my master who I believe is looking to hard at what its saying and seperating the fact that it says splice or terminate to equipment in the box. He is looking at it as "splice" being one method and "terminate to equipment in the box" as another method to him stating you can not splice without bonding. We went back and forth in a healthy discussion. So i said let me throw it on the forum and get the trades opinion.

kwired

Electron manager
FIFY:

on the right side of the page in photobucket you will see "share this photo" copy and paste the

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

That section {250.148} is about boxes not conduit bodies and even though that's merely an opinion it says that in that instance the box is treated like a conduit body not the other way around.

Where a metal box is used in a metal raceway system and there is a wire-type equipment grounding conductor in-stalled in the raceway, 250.148 does not require that the wire-type equipment grounding conductor be connected to
the box, provided the box is grounded by the metal raceway and the circuit conductors are not spliced or terminated to
equipment in the metal box. A metal box installed at a point in a metal conduit or tubing system to provide a point at
which to pull conductors into the raceway system is covered by this section as long as the conductors are not spliced or
otherwise terminated in the box. In this respect, the box is treated the same as a metal conduit body such as an “L” or
“T” type installed to provide a conductor pull point in a conduit or tubing system.

kwired

Electron manager
A splice in a conduit body does not require any additional bonding.

Do not use a conduit body for terminating equipment. A conduit body is not an outlet.

I think the issue here is confusing a splice with terminations.
There used to be receptacle outlets/covers that would fit certain conduit bodies. I have rarely seen them and was always older installations like older then 1960. Don't know if such items are still available or not, but apparently they could have been used as an outlet box at some time, don't know if that is still an option or not though.

Also seen some with covers designed to support cord pendant lights (again really old applications) - but I guess the outlet technically was at the end of the pendant and the conduit body was just a junction box in those cases.

FIFY:

on the right side of the page in photobucket you will see "share this photo" copy and paste the code into your post and the picture will display in the post instead of a link, then we can all see the image without having to browse to another page.[/QUOTE]

I was doing it on my phone and couldnt find the link but thanks.
Awesome thanks for all the responses. That is all I was saying. Just needed some back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.