4" New Work Recessed Can Mounting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

I've got to mount several of these at 1" down rather than 1/2". My question is how best to do it? There is no adjusting means of the cans themselves like the larger models have (the 3-4 internal setscrews between the can liner/cylinder and the housing). The only thing I've come up with is to cut/flatten the brackets to get my 1", which seems kinda hack-ish to me.

JFletcher

Anyone? Does anyone know if HALO makes different brackets for these lights? I will find a way to mount these the way they need to be, just was hoping I wouldnt have to field modify the standard brackets. I cant be the first electrician in history to need to mount a 4" NW can lower than the factory brackets allow for. :D

iwire

Staff member
I've got to mount several of these at 1" down rather than 1/2". My question is how best to do it? There is no adjusting means of the cans themselves like the larger models have (the 3-4 internal setscrews between the can liner/cylinder and the housing). The only thing I've come up with is to cut/flatten the brackets to get my 1", which seems kinda hack-ish to me.

It maybe that they cannot be used with that much finish.

I have had to go back to a job with a similar issue on a wood ceiling and all the trims kept falling out because you could not push the trims far enough up into the housing.

I had to send a guy out with 1/2" x #5 wood screws that I painted the heads white and screw the trims to the wood to keep them in place.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How thick is the ceiling material? If its 1" lowering the brackets will not help because they will be in the way of the ceiling. If the ceiling material is being spaced down from the joists couldn't you just put small strips next to the joist to lower the mounting points flush with the top of the ceiling material? The internal "can" is held inside the outside can by friction clips so you could lower it some but don't remember how much.

mgookin

Anyone? Does anyone know if HALO makes different brackets for these lights? I will find a way to mount these the way they need to be, just was hoping I wouldnt have to field modify the standard brackets. I cant be the first electrician in history to need to mount a 4" NW can lower than the factory brackets allow for. :D

Manufacturers want to know these things. Call them! They want to help. They will go to great extents to make sure you use their product and have no problems.

JFletcher

Thank you all for the suggestions. Now that I think about it some more, the can "lip" that goes thru the drywall opening may only be a 1/2" deep before it joins the square face/body of the can, and moving/modifying the brackets may be a moot point. Will check next time I'm there.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Why not use cans where the inner housing is adjustable.
They may not be as inexpensive but they will work how you want them to.

JFletcher

Why not use cans where the inner housing is adjustable.
They may not be as inexpensive but they will work how you want them to.

I dont work much with 4" cans, new or remodel; this is the first time I've used them in a ceiling more than 1/2" thick. I will definitely look into getting adjustable housing ones; tbh, I didnt know they were available. thanks!

JFletcher

The Halo should workH457ICAT1E
Plaster Frame

Collar adjusts for ceilings up to 1-1/4" thick

Not sure what happened to your post but I found the can with the model # you gave. On the surface, they look identical to what I have. Which either means two models look similar on the outside, or I already have these cans and didnt know how to adjust them. I'm going with the former! :D they are also IC rated, which I needed and failed to mention

ty for the link

Status
Not open for further replies.