fan speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I change speeds on a three speed box fan ( big box store fan cheap $20.00 ) how is the motor wired to change speeds ?

JFletcher

A. Magic
B. Multi winding motor.
C. A really cheap Chinese speed control.

:D

While we're on cheap fans, anyone know why the first fan speed from off is always HIGH? I'd think this would be harder on the motors than going to low, then medium, then high, but the sheer number of fans I've seen wired Off-High-Med-Low would indicate otherwise.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
:D

While we're on cheap fans, anyone know why the first fan speed from off is always HIGH? I'd think this would be harder on the motors than going to low, then medium, then high, but the sheer number of fans I've seen wired Off-High-Med-Low would indicate otherwise.

It seems I've read that ceiling fans should be started on high speed....

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You want to be sure that there is enough torque to break loose gunked up bearings and static friction. Once the blades are moving you can reduce the power.

kwired

Electron manager
You want to be sure that there is enough torque to break loose gunked up bearings and static friction. Once the blades are moving you can reduce the power.
+2

Good example is variable speed control on a PSC motor in a poultry or swine barn. They don't always want to start because of reasons you mention so if you start them on high speed you have a better chance of breaking them loose if they are jammed by anything, then they can slow down to desired speed. Even the automatic type controllers for those applications start them on high for just a couple seconds or so and then slow them down to wherever they need to be for the needs of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.