GENERAC GENERATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bure961

Has anyone come across problems with the 18" from a building spec Generac gives? Town fire inspector wouldn't sign off on permit citing nfpa 37 - 2006. He wants 5' from building not the 18" Generac spec. There is 2 exceptions, 1 is if installed in fire proof enclosure. Need to contact Generac about there specs on enclosure. Did anyone come across anything like this before?

JFletcher

I found this:

NFPA 37 Section 4.1.4 Engines Located Outdoors. Engines, and their weatherproof housings if provided, that
are installed outdoors shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) from openings in walls and at least 1.5 m (5 ft) from
structures having combustible walls.

You will want more than 18" clearance for maintenance. If you have to remove the back panel of the generator housing, you're gonna hate yourself for putting the thing so close to the building.

Ingenieur

So no constraint if no openings and a non-combustible wall

i agree with the clearance issues though
at least 3 ft
more if access pnls are facing the wall

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So no constraint if no openings and a non-combustible wall

i agree with the clearance issues though
at least 3 ft
more if access pnls are facing the wall
I agree 100%. You have to measure the distance from the corner of the generator to the wall or opening. If it's under 5' it won't pass. We used to have these issues and then we started submitting copies of the property surveys showing the location of the unit and indicating the distance from the wall or window. If it gets approved upon submission I can't see how an inspector can knock you down at the final.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Doesn't Generac put a sticker inside their generators showing they meets exception 2 requirements.

I can't recall the details but this was under discussion with local building/fire code officials and Generac does have an enclosure which they found acceptable under an exception.

mgookin

Would someone in a MEP firm please go ask your mechanical engineer if they have a conflict with NFPA saying 5' from a building opening with an exhaust?

In the mechanical code it's always been 10' horizontal separation from any outlet to a building opening.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I found this:

NFPA 37 Section 4.1.4 Engines Located Outdoors. Engines, and their weatherproof housings if provided, that
are installed outdoors shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) from openings in walls and at least 1.5 m (5 ft) from
structures having combustible walls.

You will want more than 18" clearance for maintenance. If you have to remove the back panel of the generator housing, you're gonna hate yourself for putting the thing so close to the building.

Most of Generac's generators do not have a removable back panel to worry about and yes they have a document available to satisfy the under 5' clearance from combustible structure. They have done a flame test by 3rd party that certified that the generator can be placed minimum 18" from structures from the back as long as the generator has a steel/aluminum enclosure. As long as it's not their 7kw core power which only has a composite enclosure, that one still needs 5'

Last edited:

bure961

I was informed today that yesterday afternoon the fire official approved the 18" from building due to the housing and the listing of the generator.
Thanks for every ones input.

Status
Not open for further replies.