Wall outlets required

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve holt

If I have a whole wall of built in cabinets that start 4" AFF and extend up to a height of 36", is the space those cabinets occupy along the wall considered "wall space" meaning that distance needs to be factored into the calculation?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Certainly if the cabinets only occupy up to 36". There is an argument if the cabinets go floor to ceiling then one would not need an outlet. Anyway for calculations, I assume residential, then you would have to consider the sq.ft of the dwelling and the interior makeup does not come into play. The calc involves the outside dimensions of the home

luckylerado

If I have a whole wall of built in cabinets that start 4" AFF and extend up to a height of 36", is the space those cabinets occupy along the wall considered "wall space" meaning that distance needs to be factored into the calculation?

Here is what it states in 210.52(A). Assuming residential.
(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall
include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 f t) or more in width (including space
measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor
line
by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and
fixed cabinets

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When you say that the cabinets start 4" AFF, are you referring to a toe kick under that or a dust collecting space all the way back to the wall?
Would any members suggest receptacles in the toe kick?

steve holt

Here is what it states in 210.52(A). Assuming residential.
(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall
include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 f t) or more in width (including space
measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor
line
by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and
fixed cabinets

I did not even look at the 2011 version. In Hawaii we are still on 2008 which does not have the "fixed cabinet" portion.
Thanks and Aloha

steve holt

When you say that the cabinets start 4" AFF, are you referring to a toe kick under that or a dust collecting space all the way back to the wall?
Would any members suggest receptacles in the toe kick?

Yes, the 4" is the toe kick space meaning any outlet would have to be installed in the cabinet work.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I suppose that since I just obtained a PE license in Hawaii, I should weigh in on this discussion. My reading of the 2008 NEC tells me that the wall with the cabinets must have a receptacle outlet every 12 feet, just like any other wall space. But this raises a few interesting questions:
  1. I know you can meet this requirement by using floor outlets that are no more than 18" from the wall. But what if the cabinets are more than 18" deep? The rule says 18" from the wall, not 18" from the front of the cabinet.
  2. Can you satisfy the requirement by installing receptacles above the top of the cabinets, let's say 42" above the floor? I know a receptacle would not count if it were more than 5-1/2 feet above the floor, but these cabinets are only 36" tall.
  3. If we are willing to take credit for a receptacle that is above the top of the cabinet, would it matter how deep the cabinet is? For example, if the cabinet is just a 10" deep bookcase, it would be easy enough to reach over the top and plug in a lamp cord. But if the cabinet was a 36" deep storage cabinet, reaching the outlet would be more difficult. So does that matter at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.