flow switch and bell wirirng

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterrudart

I need to wire the Potter flow switch and the 120v bell on my building. I have a dedicated and locked circuit feeding the flow switch, however the wire diagram show my hot leg landing on the common and my neutral going through the bell then landing on the N.O.. my bell is 120v and has 2 white tails and 2 balck tails. if i use the white tails as a in and out then where do i get my hot leg from for the bell?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I need to wire the Potter flow switch and the 120v bell on my building. I have a dedicated and locked circuit feeding the flow switch, however the wire diagram show my hot leg landing on the common and my neutral going through the bell then landing on the N.O.. my bell is 120v and has 2 white tails and 2 balck tails. if i use the white tails as a in and out then where do i get my hot leg from for the bell?
The Common and NC terminals are both "hots" like a light switch, the Commom is the hot and the NC is the switch leg, then over to the bell, through the bell ringer and on to the neutral to complete the circuit.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The top set of form "C" contacts are for your fire alarm system. You can use the bottom set for your local bell. The purpose of that bell is to let the FD know that there's water flowing through the pipe. You should also check the Agastat time delay. Most FD's want a minimum of a 30 second delay before the contacts change state to prevent false alarms in the event of a water surge. Finally, you should check the contact configuration with an ohmmeter. I don't remember if the manufacturer changes the state of the contacts by design of the unit. So, what is marked NO may actually be NC by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.