floor boxes in slab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used these Carlon E971FB round floor boxes in concrete? I think you set them high, then later cut them to match the flooring. 90 cu in total volume, 15 cu in for every inch in height. The cut sheet says,"Trim out is easy - just use a hand saw to cut off box at desired height to accomodate flooring." You could use one of those vibrating cutting tools for trim. I have used the metal boxes with the screw type adjustment but these seem like they might be easy.

https://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Carlon/FloorBoxes-Round-CatalogPage.pdf

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I've used them but never in the way you described. We always set them up for finish floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
You are correct and ADub you should use them the way described by cutting they are less labor consuming. The activation ring goes in to the box after you trim the box so the height is set then.

chevyx92

Has anyone used these Carlon E971FB round floor boxes in concrete? I think you set them high, then later cut them to match the flooring. 90 cu in total volume, 15 cu in for every inch in height. The cut sheet says,"Trim out is easy - just use a hand saw to cut off box at desired height to accomodate flooring." You could use one of those vibrating cutting tools for trim. I have used the metal boxes with the screw type adjustment but these seem like they might be easy.

https://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Carlon/FloorBoxes-Round-CatalogPage.pdf

Yes they work great. We put in over a 100 of those in a furniture store once.

iwire

Staff member
We used over 500 in a single store.

Set them a bit high and trim flush with a long sawzall blade, just flex the blade flush onto conreate.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We used over 500 in a single store.

Set them a bit high and trim flush with a long sawzall blade, just flex the blade flush onto conreate.

How many of them got knocked around by the finishers because you set them slightly above finished floor?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
floor boxes in slab

That is nuts, it really is.

I see that now. Seemed normal at the time. Looks like this is the one I've used the most actually

2e307c03cbb174adfa4328f18e3eae68.jpg

iwire

Staff member
How many of them got knocked around by the finishers because you set them slightly above finished floor?

In this case it was a remodel and we owned saw cutting and patching of the floor. So the cement guys where our subs and had to do what we told them.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Who cares?!? For one thing, if they are slightly off of plumb, when the are cut to the floor no one will know. But the main reason I say this is, that I am not the only tradesman on a job who has a responsibility to watch out for others work. If I have conduits stubbed up, or floor boxes set, and they get knocked around by the concrete person, it is his responsibility, not mine. I am not a militant jerk, but I will put my foot down if they don't either, fix it, come to me and ask me to HELP fix it, and don't continue knocking them around showing carelessness.

To me it is the same as filling my boxes full of mud. They use those banjos and I absolutely refuse to go around and clean mud out of my boxes.

In turn, I make my guys wear vinyl gloves when finish paint is on and train them not to lean on walls etc.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Those floor boxes are designed to be left high and cut off flush after the fact.
Never had a problem with them.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.