Service Equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new service... 480v 4000a distribution gear.. The question that I am discussing with my employer is... Are the feeders leaving this gear (in question 1200a feeding a busway) considered Service Equipment The issue with my boss is, that he thinks that bonding the conduits to this gear is not required! 250-92 says it is required. Who is right?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Service conductors cannot be a feeder. The service conductors end at the first overcurrent protective device or in the main panel using the 6 disconnect rule. Basically if there is a breaker ahead of the conductors then they are no longer service conductors

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note, however, since it is a 480v service, 250.97 refers you back to 250.92, bonding of service conduits, and the two are treated similarly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Feeders are not service conductors unless your bus duct is connected ahead of the service disconnect(s) it is considered feeder conductors. By saying "bonding the conduits to the gear" are you referring to using bonding bushings or some other method that goes beyond using normal locknuts and bushings?

kwired

Electron manager
You always need to bond metal raceways. Standard locknuts are typically permitted to perform that bond to a metal enclosure but there are times when more then just a standard locknut is required, primarily service raceways and when over 250 volts to ground and concentric/eccentric knockouts are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.