Thermostat wiring for line voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Thompson

I was on a job the other day on a service call ,and noticed that the customer had a Generac generator installed with an automatic transfer switch several years before and noticed the electrical contractor that did the installation used 2 -sets of 18-3 thermostat wire between the generator and transfer switch ,terminals N1 and N2 are 240v and fused at 5 amps the wire were run exposed from the the generator to the transfer switch exposed through the basement, the thermostat wire is a class 2 power limited cable and the insulation is rated at 300v ,i would never think of using that wire for anything but low voltage ,but is it legal ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was on a job the other day on a service call ,and noticed that the customer had a Generac generator installed with an automatic transfer switch several years before and noticed the electrical contractor that did the installation used 2 -sets of 18-3 thermostat wire between the generator and transfer switch ,terminals N1 and N2 are 240v and fused at 5 amps the wire were run exposed from the the generator to the transfer switch exposed through the basement, the thermostat wire is a class 2 power limited cable and the insulation is rated at 300v ,i would never think of using that wire for anything but low voltage ,but is it legal ?

It might be that this is a class 1 circuit. If so, I think the cabling might be OK but it should be in a raceway of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.