NEC 430.32(3)(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale001289

I just want to make absolutely sure I'm correct before I say "No" to this installation:

Vendor skid contains a Fan motor rated 1/2hp @120V located in the top portion of a hood for the skid. They've supplied a disconnect switch for the motor, also within the hood; the switch DOES NOT contain an overload device of any kind and no internal thermal protector.

I say this Vendor installation is in violation of 430.32(3)(B) and probably fails to meet accessibility requirements as well.

Comments, please....

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Most fractional HP motors are thermally protected, check the nameplate, if TP then no OL protection is required.
There must be disconnect within sight of the motor and a disconnect for the motor controller, with a lot of industrial exceptions, as per 430.102

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Hopefully they left 30" in front of the switch. You should probably just condemn it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
If this skid is a UL listed assembly I don't think the NEC applies.

An excellent point. If the "vendor skid" is a piece of equipment that is supplied from a manufacturer, the "Equipment" is connected to the "Premises Wiring (System)" at an "Outlet". See Article 100 Definitions for those three definitions. Pay particular attention to the last sentence of Premises Wiring (System).

The NEC, generally, is not used to regulate the manufacturer's assembly of equipment wiring done in the manufacturing facility. And the NEC, generally, doesn't retroactively apply to the wiring inside and a piece of equipment.

Dale001289

An excellent point. If the "vendor skid" is a piece of equipment that is supplied from a manufacturer, the "Equipment" is connected to the "Premises Wiring (System)" at an "Outlet". See Article 100 Definitions for those three definitions. Pay particular attention to the last sentence of Premises Wiring (System).

The NEC, generally, is not used to regulate the manufacturer's assembly of equipment wiring done in the manufacturing facility. And the NEC, generally, doesn't retroactively apply to the wiring inside and a piece of equipment.

Wow, I'm reading these posts BUT not believing my eyes....I'm wondering...should I even respond? First off: this is a huge, multibillion dollar LNG plant with Class 1, Division 1 and 2 Areas....Not some rinky-dink convenience store, grocery store or restaurant - are we clear?
Next, the 'premise wiring' is the entire plant! Service is derived from massive steam and gas turbine generators, over 90MW of power via black start emergency generators. Under no circumstances is ANY vendor allowed to circumvent the NEC. Since my initial blog, I've discovered the vendor-supplied fan motor indeed has an integral thermal protector - plus it will never be energized unless the skid is completely isolated (de-energized) per client protocol and procedures. As far as I'm concerned, this thread is closed. Thank you and Good day gentlemen.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Wow, I'm reading these posts BUT not believing my eyes....I'm wondering...should I even respond? First off: this is a huge, multibillion dollar LNG plant with Class 1, Division 1 and 2 Areas....Not some rinky-dink convenience store, grocery store or restaurant - are we clear?
Next, the 'premise wiring' is the entire plant! Service is derived from massive steam and gas turbine generators, over 90MW of power via black start emergency generators. Under no circumstances is ANY vendor allowed to circumvent the NEC. Since my initial blog, I've discovered the vendor-supplied fan motor indeed has an integral thermal protector - plus it will never be energized unless the skid is completely isolated (de-energized) per client protocol and procedures. As far as I'm concerned, this thread is closed. Thank you and Good day gentlemen.

I don't think you're going to impress anyone here with your big gas plant. There's representatives from every corner of the industry on this forum here, a little humility would go a long way.

tkb

I am so glad the the emperor has arrived to teach us lowly convenience store electricians since none of us has any industrial experience. :happysad:

I can't wait for you to honor us with your next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.