Panel Label

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably a shot in the dark but, we replaced a panelboard last night at a restaurant, the old panel schedule has a 2 pole 20 labeled as OCB. We could not figure out what this was controlling. Anyone has a good educated guess?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When I make the following suggestion, you might suspect me of exhibiting Obsessive Compulsive Behavior. :roll: But I'll risk that, and suggest you turn the breaker off and find out what is no longer working.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When you say that "we" could not figure it out, who is "we"? Do you mean your team of electricians? If so, then I also suggest asking the owner. It could well mean something to them and only to them. Perhaps it is that Oval Ceramic Bread machine that their grandparents gave them.

JFletcher

When I make the following suggestion, you might suspect me of exhibiting Obsessive Compulsive Behavior. :roll: But I'll risk that, and suggest you turn the breaker off and find out what is no longer working.

Heh. OCB could stand for "Office of Charles Beck" for all we know. :D

Maybe it's the "Oh, crap! Breaker". Ask, trace it, or dont worry about it.

Welcome to the forum!

Lectricbota

This is probably a shot in the dark but, we replaced a panelboard last night at a restaurant, the old panel schedule has a 2 pole 20 labeled as OCB. We could not figure out what this was controlling. Anyone has a good educated guess?

Walked out of a restaurant at noon and they had (2) breakers marked OVEN CIRCUIT BREAKER SMALL, and OVEN CB-2.

We realize that the owner of the restaurant is trying to implement organizational skills to the best of their knowledge. I'd give them credit, because of their redundancy, that in practice, some cases, you will actually find a panel schedule or labeling of some sort in the panel. Questioning the Ahj would be a good source to start. If that's not available then.....troubleshoot the source.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I've used that method many times, it is quite effective.

user 100

Walked out of a restaurant at noon and they had (2) breakers marked OVEN CIRCUIT BREAKER SMALL, and OVEN CB-2.

Op's mystery label could have very well been for a small oven- non specificity can be bug you sometimes:

Walk into a place, notice several breaker's only marked "lights" or "outlets", but with absolutely no indication whatsoever of which lights or outlets they are talking about.:happyno:

kwired

Electron manager
Op's mystery label could have very well been for a small oven- non specificity can be bug you sometimes:

Walk into a place, notice several breaker's only marked "lights" or "outlets", but with absolutely no indication whatsoever of which lights or outlets they are talking about.:happyno:
NEC terminology, one could mark everything except for feeder breakers with "outlets" and technically you are correct:happyyes:

Pizza

Common guys every Tom, Dick and Harry knows that OCB stands for Old Country Buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.