top or bottom- does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
ok. typical large commercial shell. lines come into a 5' by 5' coffin/splice box. and 3 load centers to the right. on the 1 line it is "lined" from the splice box to the loadcenter specifically to the bottom of the busses ( 4/0 parallel,mlo ) and again, mlo out of the top to the middle panel. already piped with line on bottom and nipples to adjacent panel on top.
if it was already wired up with feed to the bottom lugs, would you change it? does it matter? btw its just about 7' of pipe to the coffin...and changing it would mean feeders and taps occupying both sides of the guts. the way the one line was drawn it was easier to "draw" the incoming going to the bottom. what say the masters?

tkb

To me a one line is diagrammatic and does not show actual routing of conduits or layouts.
The one line is drawn for clarity only and should not be used to determine top or bottom feed.
Top or bottom feed would be determined by the actual layout.

The one line will show how the equipment is to be interconnected.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Given what tkb posted, I have to question whether you are using the proper terminology.

A one-line diagram has no top or bottom with respect to equipment... only top and bottom with respect to the sheet it's drawn on.

A "riser diagram" is an elevation drawing showing intended placement.

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
top and bottom

top and bottom

ok. typical large commercial shell. lines come into a 5' by 5' coffin/splice box. and 3 load centers to the right. on the 1 line it is "lined" from the splice box to the loadcenter specifically to the bottom of the busses ( 4/0 parallel,mlo ) and again, mlo out of the top to the middle panel. already piped with line on bottom and nipples to adjacent panel on top.
if it was already wired up with feed to the bottom lugs, would you change it? does it matter? btw its just about 7' of pipe to the coffin...and changing it would mean feeders and taps occupying both sides of the guts. the way the one line was drawn it was easier to "draw" the incoming going to the bottom. what say the masters?

only time top and bottom matters is in a meter socket,in a panel i've installed lines on top, lines on bottom,main breaker on top,main breaker on bottom,main lugs on top,lugs on bottom,if that answers your question

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Given what tkb posted, I have to question whether you are using the proper terminology.

A one-line diagram has no top or bottom with respect to equipment... only top and bottom with respect to the sheet it's drawn on.

A "riser diagram" is an elevation drawing showing intended placement.

you nailed it. on this one line (and most) from the ses it shows the typical symbol for a ocd then dashed (with the feeder sch. #) to the load center. the dashed line is literally to the bottom of the respective panel to a symbol for a lug (in this case a small square) then the symbol for the buss, etc. Its really that silly I hate to say. either way it was all terminated all nice and he had second thoughts. I knew I was in for it after
1 - I asked for 10deg prefab 3" kicks and he said they don't make them
2 - he doesn't know what grade 5 bolts are
3 - I asked for a tourqe wrench and he gave me a 1/2" ratchet.... I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.