dishwasher

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do hardwired dishwasher need a gfci in a home? ( single family )

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes, under the 2014 NEC.

No, under earlier versions.

Yes, and many who follow the NEC closely know that this was driven by the appliance industry. While I can agree that GFCI can help mitigate fires do to failure of components in an appliance, I find it insulting that they are using the code to mask their own design/engineering short comings in an effort to make things cheaper. The dirty truth is that there have been many appliance fires in recent years due to poor design and the manufacturers have gone to great lengths to hide this.
Worse, they talk out of both sides of their mouth. More than once I have seen brand new appliances that the code requires on GFCI trip GFCIs and the manufacturer then claiming that they don't recommend a GFCI in the branch circuit to make their problem go away. Happened again recently with a GE under counter ice machine that required GFCI for code purposes and GE is claiming that we have to remove the GFCI. Wow, the hypocrisy is astounding as GE was the leader of this crusade.

jumper

Yes, and many who follow the NEC closely know that this was driven by the appliance industry. While I can agree that GFCI can help mitigate fires do to failure of components in an appliance, I find it insulting that they are using the code to mask their own design/engineering short comings in an effort to make things cheaper. The dirty truth is that there have been many appliance fires in recent years due to poor design and the manufacturers have gone to great lengths to hide this.
Worse, they talk out of both sides of their mouth. More than once I have seen brand new appliances that the code requires on GFCI trip GFCIs and the manufacturer then claiming that they don't recommend a GFCI in the branch circuit to make their problem go away. Happened again recently with a GE under counter ice machine that required GFCI for code purposes and GE is claiming that we have to remove the GFCI. Wow, the hypocrisy is astounding as GE was the leader of this crusade.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. No need to be subtle.:D

kwired

Electron manager
And GE also makes GFCI breakers, you would think they want to sell them as well.

But I agree that this requirement is a joke. GFCI is a good device, but this it not what it is for.

norcal

And GE also makes GFCI breakers, you would think they want to sell them as well.

But I agree that this requirement is a joke. GFCI is a good device, but this it not what it is for.

GE is in the process of selling their appliance div. to ChiCom manufacturer Haier, any day past the warranty expiration is a bonus w/ Haier, GE will be off my appliance choices if the sale goes through, years ago they tried to buy Maytag, Whirlpool ended up w/ them, thankfully.

Electrolux did try to acquire GE's appliance div. but it failed to go through.

Not really related to the GFCI requirement other then they (GE) soon may no longer be in the appliance business.

kwired

Electron manager
GE is in the process of selling their appliance div. to ChiCom manufacturer Haier, any day past the warranty expiration is a bonus w/ Haier, GE will be off my appliance choices if the sale goes through, years ago they tried to buy Maytag, Whirlpool ended up w/ them, thankfully.

Electrolux did try to acquire GE's appliance div. but it failed to go through.

Not really related to the GFCI requirement other then they (GE) soon may no longer be in the appliance business.
GE had good appliances, long ago, but not for at least 20-25 years.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Huh--- Are you saying the gfci does not apply to remodel work when applying the 2014 NEC or do you mean in NJ
Sorry, in NJ we have a "Rehab" code. Basically, as I understand it, you can gut a house down to the studs and re-Sheetrock and you wouldn't have to change any of the electrical wiring or replace devices. Personally speaking, I would install new if it looked shoddy but it's not a requirement. However, if you run new circuits you would have to comply with current code which would be the 2014 NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry, in NJ we have a "Rehab" code. Basically, as I understand it, you can gut a house down to the studs and re-Sheetrock and you wouldn't have to change any of the electrical wiring or replace devices. Personally speaking, I would install new if it looked shoddy but it's not a requirement. However, if you run new circuits you would have to comply with current code which would be the 2014 NEC.

Some AHJ's have rules that state you must update wiring to current code requirements when you open walls, NEC doe not require it. NJ is just stating you don't have to either, though it maybe is a bit more complex as to exactly when and what.

Status
Not open for further replies.