Garage lighting and receptacle outlet requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello
Is there any restrictions to combining lighting outlets and receptacles outlets on the same circuit within a garage?

Are there any requirements for the receptacle outlets to be on a 20 amp circuit?

I know exterior receptacle outlets can't be fed from an interior garage receptacle outlet but was wondering if anything else within the garage ( lighting) could be fed on that circuit and possible amperage requirements.

I see 210.11 makes no mention of separate circuit
For garage yet to comply with 210.52G1 it would seam like a separate circuit for garages should be
added to 210.11C.

Thank you

jumper

I do not see where garage lights cannot be on garage circuit, which must be a separate/dedicated/individual circuit.

(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached
garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying
this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the
garage. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for
each car space.

Does not require a 20A circuit so I see that as the reason it is not in 210.11(C).

ritelec

Ok thanks.

Let me see if I have this straight.

If a 15 or 20 amp circuit is run to a garage. That circuit supplies lighting outlets inside the garage and lighting and receptacle outlets outside the garage. If a receptacle outlet is tapped from that circuit for an interior garage receptacle, the exterior lighting outlets and receptacle outlets become a violation. Right?

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Ok thanks.

If a 15 or 20 amp circuit is run to a garage. That circuit supplies lighting outlets inside the garage and lighting and receptacle outlets outside the garage. If a receptacle outlet is tapped from that circuit for an interior garage receptacle, the exterior lighting outlets and receptacle outlets become a violation. Right?

Thanks
That is one way of putting it.

Garage receptacle outlets can not be on a circuit that supplies outlets outside the garage is about the simplest way to put it.

This indirectly makes at least one circuit dedicated to the garage a mandatory circuit in a way, it must have garage receptacles on it, but other loads inside the garage are optional.

kb3zvn

Ok thanks.

Thanks

So the Correct way to wire this would be to add a sub panel inside the garage and have separate circuits for inside the garage and outside the garage.. Am I understanding this correctly?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You could install a sub panel or run 2 or more circuits as needed.
But if this is a detached garage you are limited to only one (optionally MWBC) circuit.
By breaking out with separate neutrals you could then, I hope, get one inside receptacle and one "other" circuit

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I do not see where garage lights cannot be on garage circuit, which must be a separate/dedicated/individual circuit.

(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached
garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying
this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the
garage. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for
each car space.

Does not require a 20A circuit so I see that as the reason it is not in 210.11(C).

Ok thanks.

Thanks

That is one way of putting it.

Garage receptacle outlets can not be on a circuit that supplies outlets outside the garage is about the simplest way to put it.

This indirectly makes at least one circuit dedicated to the garage a mandatory circuit in a way, it must have garage receptacles on it, but other loads inside the garage are optional.

Actually, the way that is written, you must have a receptacle in the garage. Or if you have space for two cars you must have two receptacles. For those particular receptacles the circuit may not have outlets outside the garage.

You can have additional outlets inside the garage tied to outlets outside the garage, but they won't count towards the requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.