Chandilier swap out....25' high in foyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

97catintenn

Estimate question, I've never had the opportunity to swap a light fixture out over 12' or so high.

This light is mounted to the ceiling at 22-25ft high. I think I have room for scaffolding, so just plan on that. Bid is to get the scaffolding, setup in foyer with doing any damage, remove old light, assemble new light, install new light, remove scaffolding and return.

My bid sounds high, but what do you all think?

Thank you for your help.

light.jpg

highlegdelta

What about renting a JLG 25AM depending on the fixture weight.

Also, is there an attic? Might be able to sell them on a light lift to lower the fixture to the ground for changing lamps, cleaning and new fixtures.

https://www.aladdinlightlift.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JFletcher

How the heck can you work off that?

It's not easy... I raised the extension to where I could straddle it while working. You can put a scaffold board between a pair.

They make 2 man a-frames that reach 21'... if the chandelier doesnt weigh a ton, and you have room to open an a-frame all the way (about 9-10' spread at the base), it will definitely be faster than rigging 20' of scaffolding. The scaffolding looks to be ~$140/day, a 20' ladder about 60$

Anyway you look at it you'll nee 2 guys. IMHO, I would rent one of these lifts :

http://www.genielift.com/en/products/aerial-work-platforms/awp-super-series/index.htm

Safety first !!! Once you get the old chandelier down try to convince the HO to get a chandelier lift installed

nice -about how much does one of those weigh?

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not sure. That's why I said you'll need 2 men. If you have to bring it up a lot of stairs to get to the 1st fl landing it might not be worth the effort. If you can get it in easily the lift (at least the ones I've used) has a "kneeling" feature whereby inserting an extra leg allows the basket section to tilt down so you can wheel the unit through the door. Don't try this on your own. You'll definitely break or rupture something.:cool:

I think there's a video on the link I posted.

iwire

Staff member

Again its going to be in the 800 to 1,000 pound range. Unless there are ramps its going to be a pain.

I work from all kinds of lifts about 50% of my work time, huge fan of lifts but to me this is a staging job.

iwire

Staff member
Besides the weight there is the issue of it being a one man lift so you must be able to hold the fixture, wire it, secure it all by yourself.

With staging you can have help at the top.

Also most of those one man lifts have a 300 pound weight limit, for me that means the fixture and any tools had better be less than 80 pounds. :ashamed:

JFletcher

Not sure. That's why I said you'll need 2 men. If you have to bring it up a lot of stairs to get to the 1st fl landing it might not be worth the effort. If you can get it in easily the lift (at least the ones I've used) has a "kneeling" feature whereby inserting an extra leg allows the basket section to tilt down so you can wheel the unit through the door. Don't try this on your own. You'll definitely break or rupture something.:cool:

I think there's a video on the link I posted.

one of the material lifts was only 450lbs. the awp 20-s weighs 677lbs; the dc model about a hundred more. I dont see two guys getting that up steps into a house

mgookin

Estimate question, I've never had the opportunity to swap a light fixture out over 12' or so high.

This light is mounted to the ceiling at 22-25ft high. I think I have room for scaffolding, so just plan on that. Bid is to get the scaffolding, setup in foyer with doing any damage, remove old light, assemble new light, install new light, remove scaffolding and return.

Thank you for your help.

View attachment 14987

Have you seen the new fixture?
Do you have to build it? Some come as a box of parts from China.
How much does it weigh? Is the existing install going to carry the new load?
Any surprises involved? Old one was just on/ off and so is the new one? Or does the new one have something about it that compels fishing new switch legs?
Those are the questions which will burn you on time and effort.

As to scaffolding with a 2 man crew, picking up and returning the scaffolding is going to take the most effort. As far as time to erect and disassemble scaffolding, 30 minutes on each end, but it should really take more like 10-15 minutes. As to R&R a fixture? That's not a 6 hour job. It should be .5 - 1 hours for the fixture R&R not including scaffolding, especially with a 2nd guy below you in case you need something from the van.

Don't forget to take something with you to place under the scaffolding so you don't grind the rusted iron into their nice floor. Looks like a nice place.

I'd bet 2 guys who are not lazy will get that done in a half day, scaffolding pickup and return included, as long as it's not more than 30 minutes to the scaffolding shop (I'm guessing you don't have your own scaffolding if you've never worked over 12')

I'd bid that with a mobilization fee and a "not to exceed" full day for the 2 guys and tell them if it's done in 1/2 a day, it's $xxx and if for some reason it takes a full day it will be $xx. Get it done at the lower rate and they'll talk real nice about you to everyone else.

If you don't have an account at the scaffolding house, get that set up ahead of time so you're not paying 2 guys to stand around while the girls drinking coffee in the back office pander through your application.

iwire

Staff member
I'd bet 2 guys who are not lazy will get that done in a half day, scaffolding pickup and return included, as long as it's not more than 30 minutes to the scaffolding shop (I'm guessing you don't have your own scaffolding if you've never worked over 12')

I think that is wishful thinking.

John120/240

As others have said, Scaffolding is the way to GO. However Similar fixtures have been done using an extension ladder against one wall with a step ladder on the landing then a plank between ladders. Site conditions will dictate your method. Whatever method you use BE SAFE. A 25ft fall would hurt.

highlegdelta

That machine is almost about 900 pounds, unless this home has a handicapped ramp it's going to be a beast to get inside.
I guess it depends on the house. Around here, most houses are slab on grade with maybe one 4" curb. That's not too hard to get in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

growler

This light is mounted to the ceiling at 22-25ft high.

I have actually done this myself but I would say (from experience) that it's a two man job. You won't be able to work all that much faster with 2 men but at least you want kill yourself.

The last one I did also had a hug medallion to install and the fixture was very heavy (cast iron ) and it did take all day.

If your bid sounds high then you are at least in the right ball park. Think about it some more and see if you don't want to add a little.

I used scaffolding and had it delivered and picked up by the rental company. Figure that into the price. I used a couple layers of paper (paste board ) and then a drop cloth to protect floor. The main thing is not to damage anything and a little extra time doing prep work is not wasted.

The best way to deal with a heavy fixture is to lift and lower with a rope and pully and don't try to carry it up a ladder or stagging and don't try to hold it and wire it, that's what the rope is for.. There may be a master link in the chain or you may have to open and close on of the links. You will have to adjust the height ( maybe not the same as old fixture ) so make sure owner is at home.

You adjust for height and then make up the chain and then feed the lamp cord throught the chain to the box and leave a bit of slack in case they want re-adjust height.

The good thing is that you can bid these high because everyone that's ever done one will bid it high.

Status
Not open for further replies.