Primary Current Test Set recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinj

First time poster, long time reader.

A quick background: I currently work for a government contractor providing in house maintenance for a data center. I have 18 years in the electrical trade primarily in commercial construction/service. The past few years with my currently employer have been in the maintenance realm.

I am putting together a proposal for the MCCB maintenance in our facility. I am currently looking at a MEGGER SPI225 to test our 200 amp and below breakers and farming out the higher rated ones (a dozen or so 350-400A, a couple 800 and 1200 panel mains and feeders, and a few dozen 2000 and 4000A draw outs) to a local vendor. Would anyone here recommend a different unit whether it be different model of megger or manufacturer all together? Also the SPI have high current probes that, with the limited literature they have on them, claim to enable you to test breakers in place. As much time as that would save, is it realistic to test breakers in place? My current plan is to have a spare set of breakers tested, secure downstream equipment/isolate distribution panel, and exchange the breakers. Also my "thrifty" boss(es) asked if i could rent a test set instead. Does anyone know roughly what the break even point is in renting vs buying? I am currently waiting for prices from AVO so i have nothing to compare yet.

Thank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
what training do you have to do this kind of work? or for that matter to evaluate the appropriate way to do it? It seems likely to me that if you are asking random people on the Internet about it that you probably should be farming out this kind of work to people who do it for a living.

Zinj

The Circuit Breaker Maintenance, Low Voltage course at AVO was one of a number of courses i completed and I did not choose to ask a question on this site at random. That course gave me hands on with the larger test sets which i know are cost prohibitive. The smaller ones might give me a return on investment. Just looking for wisdom from someone who may have experience with said equipment. I know MEGGER has good products but they are not the only one out there.

Shells

Do you need any special certification to perform testing? I know there are actually testing engineers that are NETA accredited

Status
Not open for further replies.