SEATTLE ENERGY CODE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenboy

Anyone up in the PAC NW?

Based on the 2012 Seattle Energy Code(SEC), I am wondering if display track lighting is exempt from daylight areas? 2009 SEC was noted very clear that display lighting was exempt from daylit area, as long as we have general lighting.

2012 SEC not so clear. It doesn't note an exemption, and it has a section for specific controls that talks about museum controls.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/cs/groups/pan/@pan/documents/web_informational/p2235344.pdf

I appreciate the help.

Anyone up in the PAC NW?

Based on the 2012 Seattle Energy Code(SEC), I am wondering if display track lighting is exempt from daylight areas? 2009 SEC was noted very clear that display lighting was exempt from daylit area, as long as we have general lighting.

2012 SEC not so clear. It doesn't note an exemption, and it has a section for specific controls that talks about museum controls.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/cs/groups/pan/@pan/documents/web_informational/p2235344.pdf

I appreciate the help.

I do permitted work in seattle, and honestly I have never paid attention to it, never known anyone else to, nor found it enforced for light fixture selection. FWIW....

Greenboy

I do permitted work in seattle, and honestly I have never paid attention to it, never known anyone else to, nor found it enforced for light fixture selection. FWIW....

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting comment though, as there are a few young aspiring inspectors that looks for these code related items.

Thanks again

bullheimer

i work in WA but only deal with state inspectors, who could care less about anything other than the NEC. I am only ASSuming that seattle inspectors would be the same. however some building owners have the hots to follow that lighting bs. i took a class in it once a few years ago and found it mind boggling. it is mainly for bidding new construction, i felt. but that's not much help, sorry. just going by your post tho, i would think you should be exempt from it. i have to wonder that if someone is using l.e.d. lights, why anybody would care about energy consumption but.......

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think your answer appears on page 55 (of 78) of the PDF from your link.
C405.2.3 Specific application controls. Specific application controls shall be provided for the following:
  1. Display and accent light shall be controlled by a dedicated control which is independent of the controls for other lighting within the room or space.

What that tells me is that your track light, being intended to illuminate a display, need not be included in the daylighting control system used elsewhere in the same room.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If it's adopted as a code it's required to be inspected by the local jurisdictions. Though they are asking about the Seattle Energy Code and not the Washington Energy Code.

Greenboy

I think your answer appears on page 55 (of 78) of the PDF from your link.
[/LIST]

What that tells me is that your track light, being intended to illuminate a display, need not be included in the daylighting control system used elsewhere in the same room.

Thanks for your thoughts. Spoke with a City of Seattle AHJ, and he is saying that the track is required to controlled by a daylight sensor if it is in a daylight zone. The specific switch is in addition to the the daylight controls. It is so they are able to turn the display lights off in the event they don't need it on.

Just wanted to circle back and inform everyone the outcome!

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.