Property Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Zero lot line is instead of two 5 foot side yards there is only one 5 foot side yard and the property line is the exterior wall of the next door neighbors house...
So footings and roof overhang are not considerations? Around here the setback includes structural protuberances.

mgookin

So footings and roof overhang are not considerations? Around here the setback includes structural protuberances.

Footings and overhangs certainly are considerations. You can build a footing which is flush with the outside of a wall and you can have a parapet which slopes towards the center of the building on a flat roof with roof drains. Urban areas are more common for this type of design. Townhomes also have zero setback and even a common wall where each owner owns to the center of the wall.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Footings and overhangs certainly are considerations. You can build a footing which is flush with the outside of a wall and you can have a parapet which slopes towards the center of the building on a flat roof with roof drains. Urban areas are more common for this type of design. Townhomes also have zero setback and even a common wall where each owner owns to the center of the wall.
Correct.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
my understanding, at least around here, is that every separate parcel of land has to have its own utilities. You can usually get one or more parcels bundled together into a single parcel without too much trouble. But, it is something you have to get whatever government agency is in charge of such things to deal with.

I know of at least one location not far from me that is two adjacent lots and permission was denied to join them into one larger parcel. Don't know why. I think the school district did not want it because the guy was planning a modest house so the real estate taxes of the combined lots with a single house would have been less than having two lots with two houses. At present though, the lots are sitting empty, and have been since they were subdivided out maybe 10 years ago.

kwired

Electron manager
my understanding, at least around here, is that every separate parcel of land has to have its own utilities. You can usually get one or more parcels bundled together into a single parcel without too much trouble. But, it is something you have to get whatever government agency is in charge of such things to deal with.

I know of at least one location not far from me that is two adjacent lots and permission was denied to join them into one larger parcel. Don't know why. I think the school district did not want it because the guy was planning a modest house so the real estate taxes of the combined lots with a single house would have been less than having two lots with two houses. At present though, the lots are sitting empty, and have been since they were subdivided out maybe 10 years ago.

Smart thinking there if that were the case, two unimproved lots certainly don't have as much tax value as a larger parcel with possibly a higher value home on it then what might be on the smaller parcels.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Smart thinking there if that were the case, two unimproved lots certainly don't have as much tax value as a larger parcel with possibly a higher value home on it then what might be on the smaller parcels.

But two vacant lots will not send any children to school either.....

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In the good 'ol days we played baseball on those two lots.

Today kids play video games.

"Open Space" is between the couch and the TV. Or between chair and monitor.

(Back in my tech support days we referred to some calls as PEBKAC. Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.)

Status
Not open for further replies.