Air handler disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Hass

The air handler is up in the attic that has access from a scuttle hole in the closet. Would it be acceptable to have a disconnect switch in the closet, and a second disconnect switch at the unit (for the line of sight requirement)? The customer doesnt want to have to crawl thru the attic to switch it off if there is a problem.

iwire

Staff member
The air handler is up in the attic that has access from a scuttle hole in the closet. Would it be acceptable to have a disconnect switch in the closet, and a second disconnect switch at the unit (for the line of sight requirement)? The customer doesnt want to have to crawl thru the attic to switch it off if there is a problem.

Yes you can add another disconnect in the closet but you still need one up in the attic in sight of the unit.

Jack Hass

Add on question....

If I were to place the disconnect switch at the top of the scuttle hole (in the attic), but on a vertical 2x4 facing away from the air handler, would that be ok? Or no because, you can't technically see the switch from the air handler? Scuttle hole is about 10' from the air handler.

JFletcher

Add on question....

If I were to place the disconnect switch at the top of the scuttle hole (in the attic), but on a vertical 2x4 facing away from the air handler, would that be ok? Or no because, you can't technically see the switch from the air handler? Scuttle hole is about 10' from the air handler.

a standard disco is about twice as wide as a 2x4, so it would still be visible. last install i did this way for a 30A and a 60A disco

kwired

Electron manager
Add on question....

I'd say it depends on the inspector. You might not be able to see the switch but you likely can see whether or not someone is there to possibly turn it on and they may be fine with that.

kwired

Electron manager
Just a heads up with those that they may not be 75 C rated. That may make a difference or not. :)
Midwest is 75C. Others may not be. The toggle switch that was the other option may not be 75C either, those are almost never marked that I can recall.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Be careful mounting the disconnect on the opposite side of the 2x4.
You never know when a 1x4 might sneak up and start dickin with it while your working on the unit.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
i'm missing the joke there but a pull out is harder to accidentally bypass than a switch
The joke, IMO, is that a 1x4 could hide behind the 2x4 while a human screw up could not.
I don't know how common malicious 1x4s are in the field. To me they are strictly hypothetical. :)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The joke, IMO, is that a 1x4 could hide behind the 2x4 while a human screw up could not.
I don't know how common malicious 1x4s are in the field. To me they are strictly hypothetical. :)

Thanks for getting it.
It's not near as funny when you have to explain it. :)

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager

And the pullout is easier to lose, then you need another trip unless you carry spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.