saltwater fueling dock conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Any ideas on a better conduit to use than rmc under a saltwater dock? Ocal came to mind but I don't trust the cut joints? I was asked by owner if they make ss conduit.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
They make SS EMT, and it is expensive. Using SS for pipe might be prohibitively expensive.f or this use. Brass or bronze might be less expensive.
If you treat the ends properly plastic coated pipe would do the job. Just be sure the fasteners do not puncture the coating though.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Rigid stainless steel conduit runs $10-$12 per foot.

You will need dies made for stainless if you are cutting and threading it.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
RTRC-XW [Article 355; Section 355.10(F); Section 501.10(B)(1)(6)] is acceptable in Division 2. Be careful it carries the "XW" suffix. It is practically, the standard for under-dock installations at the Port of Long Beach.

Also be careful to observe the grounding/bonding requirements of Section 501.30. I recommend avoiding any intermediate RMC in a run; it doesn't bond well.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
RTRC-XW [Article 355; Section 355.10(F); Section 501.10(B)(1)(6)] is acceptable in Division 2. Be careful it carries the "XW" suffix. It is practically, the standard for under-dock installations at the Port of Long Beach.

Also be careful to observe the grounding/bonding requirements of Section 501.30. I recommend avoiding any intermediate RMC in a run; it doesn't bond well.

http://www.championfiberglass.com/haz-duct-xw-type

i was gonna bid a fuel dock on catalina island with this, but the marine construction
firm i was bidding under as a sub didn't win the award...... :weeping:

my experience with stainless steel in a salt water environment is that
hot dipped gal lasts longer, provided you don't break the galvanizing.

OCAL won't corrode where you cut threads *as much* if you use liberal
amounts of led plate on the threads.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
That product would be fine. Sorry your general didn't win.

Under a dock, GRC type RMC doesn't stand a chance with typical marine debris.

In the future, in addition to the cautions I mentioned earlier, you would do well to have a qualified structural engineer design the support system. Also be aware that, installed properly, the system can be close to air-tight and it will "float" under the right conditions - another reason for a qualified structural support design.

Also see the second sentence of Section 355.30(B) for an interesting installation application. With supporting qualified (Structrual PE) calculations, UL can be pretty generous with support spacing.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
That product would be fine. Sorry your general didn't win.

Under a dock, GRC type RMC doesn't stand a chance with typical marine debris.

In the future, in addition to the cautions I mentioned earlier, you would do well to have a qualified structural engineer design the support system. Also be aware that, installed properly, the system can be close to air-tight and it will "float" under the right conditions - another reason for a qualified structural support design.

Also see the second sentence of Section 355.30(B) for an interesting installation application. With supporting qualified (Structrual PE) calculations, UL can be pretty generous with support spacing.

it was all for the best... i'd have had a tough time doing the job.
catalina is a different kind of beast... no storage, at the end
of a difficult food chain, etc.

i even put a general notice up on here, offering it free to a good
home... no takers.

it was for the fuel dock at avalon harbor...

i looked at some of the criteria for a successful install.... up to 20' between
spacing, expansion joints every 100', sway bracing every 200', and the oddest
thing, not to build the entire rack before hanging pipe.... only do 20' at a time.

how fun... let's hang some of this from a bosun's chair and a 12' boat... i've done
that in Long Beach, long time ago, in the winter.... coldest i've ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.