combo 120 240 receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone's opinion of these receptacles? Any code issues (other than using an ungrounded conductor color as a grounded color, or white conductor as an ungrounded conductor, if the supplied voltage was changed later)? I have a customer that wants me to install these because they have some 120-240V lights that have 5-15's, but want the option of being able plug in 6-15's later.

Attachments

• X plug.jpg
    X plug.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Is it listed? (2011) 406.3(A) requires receptacles to be listed.

A Leviton 5842 or equivalent seems like a better idea: a duplex with one NEMA 5-20 receptacle and one NEMA 6-20 receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What is everyone's opinion of these receptacles? Any code issues (other than using an ungrounded conductor color as a grounded color, or white conductor as an ungrounded conductor, if the supplied voltage was changed later)? I have a customer that wants me to install these because they have some 120-240V lights that have 5-15's, but want the option of being able plug in 6-15's later.
Working on a particular kind of greenhouse are ya?

Is it listed? (2011) 406.3(A) requires receptacles to be listed.

Thanks, never noticed that.

A Leviton 5842 or equivalent seems like a better idea: a duplex with one NEMA 5-20 receptacle and one NEMA 6-20 receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

I thought about the 5842, but I dont think it helps much. I would still need to feed 240V to the 120V recept. Prob the best solution is to cut off the 5-15 plug and put a 6-15 on.

Yeah man

I didn't know those were still made

I have only seen them one other time, and that was also in a particular type of greenhouse, man.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't see how the device pictured would be legit. Who would make such a unsafe device that could be wired 120 or 240?
Id like to be around when someone plugs in a drill or something 120 when device wired 240. Wow that drill runs awfully fast?
Then that magic smoke comes out. :eek:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I don't see how the device pictured would be legit. Who would make such a unsafe device that could be wired 120 or 240?
Id like to be around when someone plugs in a drill or something 120 when device wired 240. Wow that drill runs awfully fast?
Then that magic smoke comes out. :eek:

Those dual voltage receptacles are usually found in 'grow rooms'. I found some in a lighting controller that had fake UL marks on it. UL was notified and I sent them one of the receptacles. I gave one to the local AHJ and kept 2 for my 'museum'.

They are an obvious NEC violation, listed or not.

Check 406.3 (F) Noninterchangable Types.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Thanks, never noticed that.

I thought about the 5842, but I dont think it helps much. I would still need to feed 240V to the 120V recept. Prob the best solution is to cut off the 5-15 plug and put a 6-15 on.

Yeah man

I have only seen them one other time, and that was also in a particular type of greenhouse, man.

Those dual voltage receptacles are usually found in 'grow rooms'. I found some in a lighting controller that had fake UL marks on it. UL was notified and I sent them one of the receptacles. I gave one to the local AHJ and kept 2 for my 'museum'.

They are an obvious NEC violation, listed or not.

Check 406.3 (F) Noninterchangable Types.

Now this makes sense!
Hopefully the laws of Natural selection prevail :rotflmao:

user 100

I didn't know those were still made, and never seen one with an EGC pin that I can recall.

The op's weirdo 5-15/20 dual voltage freak show is a foreign conception.

The old t slot 2 wire duplex receptacle is still made by leviton (5000-I) for replacement purposes. As for "why" I have no idea, unless there is somebody with old ungrounded cts and some ancient 120 appliances, lamps, whatever w/ tandem blade plugs that simply wont allow the plug to be swapped out for a parallel type.

FWIU, the implementation of the NEC interchangeability rules posted by K8MHZ as well as Nema streamlining in the '50s and '60s effectively killed that outlet type- it is not (maybe never was?) a nema configuration.

Last edited:

JFletcher

The leviton 5842 240V half of the receptacle can accept both 15 and 20A plugs, same as the 120V half.

I thought about the 5842, but I dont think it helps much. I would still need to feed 240V to the 120V recept. Prob the best solution is to cut off the 5-15 plug and put a 6-15 on..

If you need a duplex 6-20, see the leviton 5822:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=5822-I&section=42416

Pricier* than the receptacle you linked, but it's UL listed and NEC compliant. *By the time you bought the 6-15/20 plugs and wired them, the 5822 receptacle comes out ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.