Stairwell 3-Way Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

user 100

...and yet I have to install an outlet every 12' whether I need one or not, not to mention counter top requirements

And as iwire noted in the other light switch thread a few months back, code doesn't specify locations for receptacles-they give an area 12' or 4' wide dependent upon there being a wall or counter, nor do they require outlets on small sections of walls.

Plus ext cords draped accross the floor because of too few outlets is a potential fire hazard and legitimate danger- not the same as an inconviently located switch.

iwire

Staff member
...and yet I have to install an outlet every 12' whether I need one or not, not to mention counter top requirements

Yes and you have up to 12' to decide where it goes, not to mention about 6' vertically.

On the other hand you are asking for a requirement for a switch to be at a door. How close must it be? Can it be on the outside of the door? Can it be on the hinge side?

I have done apartment bathrooms so small that the switch had to go outside the bathroom door or it would be over the tub. Would the new requirement have exceptions to deal with odd situations?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Yes and you have up to 12' to decide where it goes, not to mention about 6' vertically.

On the other hand you are asking for a requirement for a switch to be at a door. How close must it be? Can it be on the outside of the door? Can it be on the hinge side?

I have done apartment bathrooms so small that the switch had to go outside the bathroom door or it would be over the tub. Would the new requirement have exceptions to deal with odd situations?

...within 3' of entryway of any room requiring switch, with exceptions

jusme123

Occupation
JW
And as iwire noted in the other light switch thread a few months back, code doesn't specify locations for receptacles-they give an area 12' or 4' wide dependent upon there being a wall or counter, nor do they require outlets on small sections of walls.

Plus ext cords draped accross the floor because of too few outlets is a potential fire hazard and legitimate danger- not the same as an inconviently located switch.

...walking across a dark room to turn the light on, and again walking across a dark room after you turn light off isn't a hazard?

As for the nec note being a design manual, current nec sections shot that theory down.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
...walking across a dark room to turn the light on, and again walking across a dark room after you turn light off isn't a hazard?
Something needs to be done about that. Switches are only a half measure. A better idea is for the code to mandate motion sensors.

As for the nec note being a design manual, current nec sections shot that theory down.
Yes they have.

user 100

No, it isn't and shouldn't be a concern, not to the NEC.
What if someone decides a room has enough natural light coming thru the window and doesn't want a light fixture or a switch/blank plate uglying up a certain wall- in their house that they have paid for? Should it then be mandated to only include windowless rooms? What if they don't change the bulb and trip and get hurt anyway- how do we mandate that?

I agree w/ the 2nd part of your post, but the answer is to encourage the beast?:happyno:

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
What if someone decides a room has enough natural light coming thru the window and doesn't want a light fixture or a switch/blank plate uglying up a certain wall- in their house that they have paid for? Should it then be mandated to only include windowless rooms? What if they don't change the bulb and trip and get hurt anyway- how do we mandate that?

I agree w/ the 2nd part of your post, but the answer is to encourage the beast?:happyno:

...at night time there is no natural light, that's why we have lights. Why mandate receptacles ?

Fitzdrew516

I don't believe that is true.

I have not seen wall switches on the wall of my local Home Depot.

Any energy code I can think of that I have ever used has required it. About the least strict energy code I deal with anymore is 2007 90.1 Ashrae. It says this -

"9.4.1.2 Space Control.
Each space enclosed by ceiling height partitions shall have at least one control device to independently control the general lighting within the space. Each manual device shall be readily accessible and located so the occupants can see the controlled lighting."

kwired

Electron manager
Any energy code I can think of that I have ever used has required it. About the least strict energy code I deal with anymore is 2007 90.1 Ashrae. It says this -

"9.4.1.2 Space Control.
Each space enclosed by ceiling height partitions shall have at least one control device to independently control the general lighting within the space. Each manual device shall be readily accessible and located so the occupants can see the controlled lighting."
But since that is an energy code the reasoning for the rule is probably based on energy conservation, not on safety.

iwire

Staff member

"9.4.1.2 Space Control.

There has to be more to it than that.

If not thousands of retail buildings are in violation of it.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Even if (and to an extent a valid argument) the NEC shouldn't be concerned with this, you can bet there are other building and municipal codes that will be. Given the number of inane things in various codes, requiring the ability to switch lights in a sensible manner has to be near the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.