Switched Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom howard

The manufacturer's literature indicates a GFI protected circuit to power the switched glass.

I am not able to locate if this is a code requirement or manufacturer recommendation.

Any assistance as to the applicable NEC code section would be appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
Not a direct NEC requirement.

However if that manufacturer instruction is considered to be part of the listing and labeling 110.3(B) could be cited as requiring those instructions to be followed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is from a website of switch glass

Privacy – Polyvision panels can provide privacy at a moment’s notice in both exterior and interior installations. Offices, conference rooms, private rooms in restaurants, hospitals, clinics and medical offices, and banks are only a few of the locations where Polyvision glass can transform the functionality and appearance of the space. Polyvision also offers privacy for private homes, especially where street views or neighboring homes are close at hand, and it eliminates the need for dust-collecting draperies, shutters, and blinds.
Day-lighting – To daylight an interior effectively, harsh sunlight must be moderated to reduce glare and spread more even illumination at comfortable levels. Polyvision windows, skylights and glazed doors can be switched to translucent mode at peak hours of sunlight to cut light levels roughly in half and scatter the light, providing a diffuse source that illuminates more of the room with less glare.

Safety & security – Polyvision glass is similar in construction to safety glass. The film laminated into the glass package prevents shattered glass from flying and scattering after a severe impact, keeping the window intact. Polyvision panels meet safety glass standards and can be used in security and hurricane-resistant window applications.
Temperature control – Polyvision windows can reduce transmission of infrared radiation on demand. Switching a Polyvision window to its translucent state during peak sunlight can help control interior temperature and reduce the load on air conditioning systems, lowering energy costs.
Multifunctional – Polyvision glass can substitute for a white-board, maximizing the utility of a conference room, classroom, or consultation room. It also performs excellently as a rear-projection screen for videos, slideshows, or almost any projected image.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thanks Dennis,

I remember seeing that stuff at a trade show. They called it Smart glass.
The display showed the privacy glass but I remember something about solar heat gain.

I forgot to ask what is the default state when power is off.
I can see some smart axx kid turning off the power and peeping in if the default is clear.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis,

I remember seeing that stuff at a trade show. They called it Smart glass.
The display showed the privacy glass but I remember something about solar heat gain.

I forgot to ask what is the default state when power is off.
I can see some smart axx kid turning off the power and peeping in if the default is clear.
I think it is probably used as a privacy thing more than anything else as I remember it being used for bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.