Towel Warmer Over Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Anyone see an issue with this install? I have a customer who wants it like this and afaik if the manufacture doesn't forbid it then it is good to go. I have not seen an article that forbids the install.

ry%3D400

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My question is whether the metal of the tub goes all the way to the wall or has a separate ledge area.
If the tub extends to the wall, I suspect the warmer is not allowed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
My question is whether the metal of the tub goes all the way to the wall or has a separate ledge area.
If the tub extends to the wall, I suspect the warmer is not allowed.

And where would that be in the NEC? I have not been able to find anything on tubs except for lighting, switches and receptacle

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am not sure why it would matter if the tub went to the wall or not. If it were a receptacle no inspector would allow it

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My towel warmer is hard wired on a wall some feet from the tub. But I think a hard-wired connection to a towel warmer would not be a problem in the location you are showing. If it is plug and cord connected, the nature of the load (towel warmer, radio, toaster, etc.) is not relevant. I think 406.9(C) would prohibit a receptacle in that location. I note, however, that the phrase "within or directly over a bathtub" might make this point debatable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
My towel warmer is hard wired on a wall some feet from the tub. But I think a hard-wired connection to a towel warmer would not be a problem in the location you are showing. If it is plug and cord connected, the nature of the load (towel warmer, radio, toaster, etc.) is not relevant. I think 406.9(C) would prohibit a receptacle in that location. I note, however, that the phrase "within or directly over a bathtub" might make this point debatable.

Agreed, this is a hard wired unit and I don't believe any inspector would allow a cord and plug warmer in that location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is the pic to go with my last post. Remember this is compliant so why not a Towel Warmer. This is an install by a mike holt member, The lights are damp rated

ry%3D400

kwired

Electron manager
This is the pic to go with my last post. Remember this is compliant so why not a Towel Warmer. This is an install by a mike holt member, The lights are damp rated

ry%3D400
I see a lot of debate there over whether or not it is indeed in the tub space. I will not take a side in that debate, until the day comes that I am asked to make such an install.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I see a lot of debate there over whether or not it is indeed in the tub space. I will not take a side in that debate, until the day comes that I am asked to make such an install.

It is not in the tub space IMO however that is the constant debate of whether a receptacle on that same wall is considered in the space. Here is an example of the ridiculousness of the way this section is written. The tub is to the right and the sink left. The receptacle is not over the tub it is over the decking for the tub however if it is moved 3" over so it is over the vanity then there is no question about but would have the same safety issue that apparently the NEC is worried about. But that's another issue

ry%3D400

Status
Not open for further replies.