energized wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonylav

Can anyone tell me where it reads in the NEC that when wires are fed of the line side of a disconnect, and remain "hot" when the disconnect is turned off that they have to be identified? Ex. black wires with a orange trace. If a enclosures disconnect is turned off and there are wires that are energized from an external source how is the panel to be marked? Also is there a standard for identifying different voltages?

iwire

Staff member
Can anyone tell me where it reads in the NEC that when wires are fed of the line side of a disconnect, and remain "hot" when the disconnect is turned off that they have to be identified? Ex. black wires with a orange trace. If a enclosures disconnect is turned off and there are wires that are energized from an external source how is the panel to be marked? Also is there a standard for identifying different voltages?

Up until recently there where no NEC requirements like you are asking about.

Now 312.8 requires some making for conductors passing through.

tonylav

energized wires

I am not seeing where 312.8 mentions anything about markings. I have seen solid yellow wires inside a panel with a lamacoid on the door of a panel indicating the disconnect does not de-energize these wires, and I have seen black wires with an orange trace with the same indicator on panel door. I not sure where it says that in the code or is there another standard out there that requires this?

iwire

Staff member
I have seen solid yellow wires inside a panel with a lamacoid on the door of a panel indicating the disconnect does not de-energize these wires, and I have seen black wires with an orange trace with the same indicator on panel door. I not sure where it says that in the code or is there another standard out there that requires this?

There has been no code about this, it still is fine to use a panelboards cabinet as a raceway.

Recently they have added some requirements for labeling the conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can anyone tell me where it reads in the NEC that when wires are fed of the line side of a disconnect, and remain "hot" when the disconnect is turned off that they have to be identified?

Line side conductors will always be energized unless an upstream device is opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.