Location of GFI protection of Bathroom receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vmadden

My inspector is telling me I have to have GFI receptacle located on every floor that there is a bathroom. I realize all bathroom receptacles have to be GFI protected. what is mean is he will not allow a GFI device in the basement to protect the bathrooms on the 1st and 2nd floor. I realize this is for practical reasons but is it code. it bothers me when inspectors use their opinions as code. they do not have any local amendments that address this.

iwire

Staff member
My inspector is telling me I have to have GFI receptacle located on every floor that there is a bathroom. I realize all bathroom receptacles have to be GFI protected. what is mean is he will not allow a GFI device in the basement to protect the bathrooms on the 1st and 2nd floor. I realize this is for practical reasons but is it code. it bothers me when inspectors use their opinions as code. they do not have any local amendments that address this.

Are you feeding just bathroom receptacles with this circuit of is it running other things like lighting?

luckylerado

... it bothers me when inspectors use their opinions as code...

How do you know when he sites opinion VS code??

(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number
of branch circuits required by other parts of this section , at
least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided
to supply a bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall
have no other outlets.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you think about the reason for the applicable "no other outlets" rule, it makes sense that the inspector is wrong.
  • The rules allow everything in one bathroom, including the receptacles, to be on the same circuit, provided that nothing outside that bathroom is on the same circuit. So if you are using too large a hair dryer and the circuit trips, you will be in the dark. But you will also be only a few steps away from the door, so you can safely exit the bathroom.
  • The rules also allow receptacles from more than one bathroom to share a circuit, provided that nothing other than bathroom receptacles is on that circuit. So if you are in one bathroom and someone in another bathroom overloads the receptacle circuit, you will lose power to whatever you had plugged in, but you will still have lights, and can safely exit the bathroom.
  • Nothing in either rule speaks to the degree of inconvenience you would experience, while looking for the location of the GFCI device. The NEC is all about safety, not about convenience.

Vmadden

That shouldn't be his concern, it's not a code violation.

I agree. He says it is Baltimore City Code. I happen to know it is not and when i ask him for the code article he got very angry and told me to speak to his boss. Unfortanatly he is the Chief Inspector and his boss is not an electrical guy.

jumper

I agree. He says it is Baltimore City Code. I happen to know it is not and when i ask him for the code article he got very angry and told me to speak to his boss. Unfortanatly he is the Chief Inspector and his boss is not an electrical guy.

The MD inspection, code adoption, and licensing processes are so totally wrong IMO. This stuff is way too typical here.:rant:

Never had this BS in VA. Everything was statewide. No exceptions.

Vmadden

The MD inspection, code adoption, and licensing processes are so totally wrong IMO. This stuff is way too typical here.:rant:

Never had this BS in VA. Everything was statewide. No exceptions.

Unfortunately this is not a MD issue. Each County and each City in MD has there own adoption and enforcement of the code. There are some good counties, Baltimore City however is a mess.

I get a little tired of inspectors inspecting based on what there preference is. Enforce the code! I realize there are interpretations and gray areas on some parts of the code. But when it is clear its clear. And when each inspector in the jurisdiction enforces a different way there is a problem.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I get a little tired of inspectors inspecting based on what there preference is. Enforce the code! I realize there are interpretations and gray areas on some parts of the code. But when it is clear its clear. And when each inspector in the jurisdiction enforces a different way there is a problem.

If you follow the NEC this is not a gray area it's simply not required.

mgookin

If there is a building industry association you can contact them and ask them to lobby the legislature for it.
Politicians always give in to developers and their deep pockets.

The inspector takes issue with load side feeding a GFCI on one floor from a GFCI on another floor.
:?

So the problem is not the circuit feeding all the GFCI's. As you replace each gfci, starting on the bottom floor, you don't wire any load side connections.

How many baths are we talking about? 2 per floor, six max? 1.5 hours of labor (fat), $100 for 5 new GFCI's? For me, not worth arguing about, nor worth the bad relations with the inspector.

Last edited:

mgookin

:?

So the problem is not the circuit feeding all the GFCI's. As you replace each gfci, starting on the bottom floor, you don't wire any load side connections.

How many baths are we talking about? 2 per floor, six max? 1.5 hours of labor (fat), $100 for 5 new GFCI's? For me, not worth arguing about, nor worth the bad relations with the inspector.

Here's the OP:

I may have erred in doing so but I assumed this was new construction and that he roughed in his GFCI's as described and now the inspector comes for final and he doesn't want to have to walk to another floor to reset a tripped GFCI. Let's see if OP comes back and clarifies...

So you're saying just change the receptacles to all GFCI's (in the bathrooms)? Makes sense.
And he could change them to line side connected if he does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.