Nema 3R in Pool Equipment Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcengineer

What are the opinions of the forum members regarding Nema rating of equipment located in pool equipment rooms? I have a lodge with multiple starters. I am of the opinion that while it may be good practice to install N-3R rated combo starter disconnects, it's not code required. I have an associate telling me I'm wrong. The closest thing I find in the NEC is 680.11. Although water can leak if a pipe burst, etc., I'm of the opinion that during normal operation the equipment should be dry. Connections to pumps will transition to sealtite or some other approved wiring method.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

DC

iwire

Staff member
What are the opinions of the forum members regarding Nema rating of equipment located in pool equipment rooms? I have a lodge with multiple starters. I am of the opinion that while it may be good practice to install N-3R rated combo starter disconnects, it's not code required. I have an associate telling me I'm wrong. The closest thing I find in the NEC is 680.11. Although water can leak if a pipe burst, etc., I'm of the opinion that during normal operation the equipment should be dry. Connections to pumps will transition to sealtite or some other approved wiring method.

DC

Is the room / space built as a wet location?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
NEMA 3R enclosures are not corrosion resistant - steel ones will rust. NEMA 3R are not 'moisture' tight, condensation may form inside of them.

NEMA 3R enclosures are designed to tolerate rain falling basically downward.

luckylerado

DC

I have seen plenty of them all rusted out. 4x IMO is required because high concentrations of chlorine in swimming pool
water make the wet locations in the vicinity of swimming pool areas (including many pool pump rooms) a corrosive environment.

cdcengineer

The pool equipment room is not a wet location. But if a pump fails than water will have the potential to spray everywhere. The chemicals are contained in (2) chemical storage areas and chlorine, etc. are fed into lines from the containment area and out to the pools.

I like the idea of 4x, but if it's not a requirement than it's hard to sell the idea when the cost comes into question. I have seen poorly installed rooms where everything is corroded in 5 years. And others where Nema 1 enclosures handle the environment just fine.

I can't find a black and white "requirement" to point at in the code. And without it, the contractor will never buy into the idea.

Thanks for the responses.

CT Tom

I just landed an account with these exact same issues and I'll be doing my research over the next few days. If I come up with anything odd, I'll let you know.

Code 2011

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The pool equipment room is not a wet location. But if a pump fails than water will have the potential to spray everywhere. The chemicals are contained in (2) chemical storage areas and chlorine, etc. are fed into lines from the containment area and out to the pools.

IMO given these factors anything beyond standard enclosures is a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.