EGC Continuity

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

2005 NEC......During rough contractor put in a UFER according to plans and at the some point they decided to move the electrical room. I was under the impression that the EGC had to be continuous from the grounding electrode all the way to the service equipment. Am I mistaken, if so can some one please point out the code section.

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
2005 NEC......During rough contractor put in a UFER according to plans and at the some point they decided to move the electrical room. I was under the impression that the EGC had to be continuous from the grounding electrode all the way to the service equipment. Am I mistaken, if so can some one please point out the code section.

Thanks

It is a GEC and it is 250.64 I believe.

david

I have to assume the ufer ground is un-assessable or you would just run a new un-spliced GEC.

Thinking a little out –side the box you could add an additional grounding electrode such as a ground rod.
Bond your ufer to the ground rod and run un-spliced from the rod to the service location,

Of course the GEC from the service to the ground rod would have to be sized for the ufer portion of the grounding electrode system.
I mention this only because some guys are not set up with crimps or have no experience with exothermic welding

iwire

Staff member
I have to assume the ufer ground is un-assessable or you would just run a new un-spliced GEC.

Thinking a little out –side the box you could add an additional grounding electrode such as a ground rod.
Bond your ufer to the ground rod and run un-spliced from the rod to the service location,

Of course the GEC from the service to the ground rod would have to be sized for the ufer portion of the grounding electrode system.
I mention this only because some guys are not set up with crimps or have no experience with exothermic welding

If he has building steel it may be a piece of cake.

iwire

Staff member
true, any grounding electrode would be a bond and not a splice

More than that, just bond the uffer to the building steel where it is and bond the building steel to the panel in the electric room. Use building steel as the conductor.

I have done this to save a 300' run to the buildings water service.

Status
Not open for further replies.