Generator Contactor Panel Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

HammaMan

contactor2.jpg First time wiring up a contactor panel. There are 4, 4pole contactors in a separate panel next to panel 1. Due to structural limitations, 1" conduit is the max that can be run between them, without having to run outside and back in (rears of panels share exterior wall). Only 2 contactors are shown. 5 CAFI breakers run in (one is pictured), Dryer, 2 AC units, Range, 1 sub panel.

What are my options here? I'd like to use the 1" conduit as much as possible
Can the individual grounds be taken care of by the single 6ga, and removed or cut on the Panel to Panel NMs?
Can a common neutral bar be shared as depicted, so long as the single panel to panel neutral is able to handle the combined load? (50a range, 2 30a sub panels) (6awg shown, 4awg calculated)
Suggestions?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Doesn't 200.4 prohibit the combined neutral conductors between the two enclosures? Or is this application "specifically permitted elsewhere" in the Code?

Cheers, Wayne

HammaMan

Doesn't 200.4 prohibit the combined neutral conductors between the two enclosures? Or is this application "specifically permitted elsewhere" in the Code?

Cheers, Wayne
I was wondering the same. They're both metal, and connected via 2 EMT 90s at the top of the boxes. The range and 2 sub panels, and the 6 solid ground are the only wires in the conduit due to fill limitations. Using 40% fill, I can fit 2 6ga, 4 10ga, 1 6ga solid, and one 4ga neutral. The theory behind using the single neutral is treating it as a sub panel, even though it's not. Only the circuits running through the EMT would utilize the neutral, and it's sized to take all theoretical unbalanced current.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Cheers, Wayne
I believe you are correct. I was thinking 215.4(A) Feeders with Common Neutral... but it is only one feeder, not two.

Status
Not open for further replies.