3P vs. 4P Transfer Switches and Separately Derived Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mecojax01

I've seen a very good Mike Holt graphic explaining generator grounding for separately and/or non-separately derived systems that also includes the related applications of 3-Pole vs. 4-Pole transfer switches, but am having trouble locating that information. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find that graphic again?

mecojax01

Thank you for the links and responses. I wasn't really asking about ground fault protection or indication, my question is more concerned with when generators are or are not considered to be separately derived systems, and how that affects the neutral and grounding. Here is my understanding of how it works ... If a generator is considered a separately derived system, the neutral is bonded at the generator, the generator frame is grounded and the transfer switches are 4-Pole (neutral is switched). If a generator is NOT a separately derived system, the neutral stays isolated from the ground at the generator, the generator frame is not grounded (ie: no ground rods) and the transfer switches are 3-Pole (neutral is unswitched). Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.