Scam Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I came close to getting scammed yesterday. I got a text message (not sure how they got my cell #) claiming to be a "Michael Brown" wanting to know if I could rewire a house and if I took credit cards. Naively I texted back "yes" to both questions. He texted me the address of the house and asked me to go and look at it and that he would meet me there. I went to the house and everything looked legit with a "for sale" sign on the lawn. I texted him again asking if he was going to meet me to let me inside. He texted back that he was in FL and would not be there but would mail me the keys. That's when I began to get suspicious. I texted him back and asked him to call me.

Well, he called me and sounded like some low life from a third world country. I could barely understand a word he said except that he wanted to put a $10K deposit on his credit card so I could start work. That's when I told him to get someone else.

If this # comes up on your cell it's a scam : 832-356-9479.

If you Google the number you'll see several links to scam alerts. I posted a blog on one of them.

Be careful - scams are on the rise.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Good thing you were suspicious. It's amazing how convincing these scammers can be when they have a little personal information to make them sound legit.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good thing you were suspicious. It's amazing how convincing these scammers can be when they have a little personal information to make them sound legit.
You bet, it's difficult enough trying to collect money from your customers but when someone wants to put $10,000 into your account without even speaking to you on the phone a red flag goes up

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You bet, it's difficult enough trying to collect money from your customers but when someone wants to put $10,000 into your account without even speaking to you on the phone a red flag goes up

Let me guess how it works:
He has you charge $10,000 to his credit card as a deposit. He does not need any information about your account.
Then an unexpected business reason comes up that he needs some of it back and he asks you to do a wire transfer to him? Before his $10,000 charge bounces.

jerrysounds

I get the email every other month. I tell them I need someone on the property with an ID that matches the CC before I can take payment and a proof of address.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
He has you charge $10,000 to his credit card as a deposit. He does not need any information about your account.
Then an unexpected business reason comes up that he needs some of it back and he asks you to do a wire transfer to him? Before his $10,000 charge bounces.

nah. he cuts in the oklahoma highway patrol, and they use their little
asset forfeiture machine to empty your piggy bank... he gives them
a percentage...... i'm not sure about the details.....

dear god, did i say that out loud....?

http://www.news9.com/story/32168555...e-money-used-during-the-commission-of-a-crime

one mans scam is another mans profit stream.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah, probably something like that.

This must be getting very common the exact same thing happened to me but when they wouldn't meet me because he was "out of state" I wouldn't go look at the home. He was also going to deposit down but.... Anyway something like this happened to me a couple weeks ago.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
nah. he cuts in the oklahoma highway patrol, and they use their little
asset forfeiture machine to empty your piggy bank... he gives them
a percentage...... i'm not sure about the details.....

dear god, did i say that out loud....?

http://www.news9.com/story/32168555...e-money-used-during-the-commission-of-a-crime

one mans scam is another mans profit stream.

Thats not just in Oklahoma. But dont worry...... if you have enough money to hire a lawyer you can prove that the money is yours and they give it back. Civil forfeiture. Its pretty darn common and a great revenue stream.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I get the same thing but from email rather than text. What is going on is the CC used are stolen. They want to have you "run" the card and deposit it in your account, then ask you to "pay" their rep. to get keys or other details. This is usually done by Western Union or other wire transfer.
Run fast if you get this request!

Funny thing is a member of another forum decided to have some fun with the scammers. He posted his email transcripts with the scammers. It was hilarious!:D

I am texting with one of these guys right now! It’s really interesting. He wants me to install a bunch of flat panel lights and ceiling fans. He has bought all the fixtures. He wants to pay by check. Unfortunately he is out of town! I am not sure if he knows what state I live in! He is asking me where I am located. I get all my customers by word of mouth and I asked him who recommended me. He is ignoring that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is offering to pay me $1,200.00 by check. I don’t know how he is giving me a check if he is out of town. I told him I want the check in advance and I want it to clear first. I said there was not time for it to come by mail and clear. I offered to give him my bank account number for a direct transfer. I thought he would jump on that but he still seems to want to pay by check??? I don’t know how long to play along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This being locked because it is a 5 year old thread. Feel free to start a new thread if you want to continue the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.