Estimating outdoor lighting in detached space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a question with estimating a small project that I'm looking at. I'm kind a new to estimating but I'll give you a general guideline of the project.
Tapping into the panel and setting up a new circuit
romex to the crawl.
box.
rmc to wall penetration outside the home then apx 16'.
Up a metal carport framework to dual outdoor switch.
To the top of carport to the first light.
Up top two motions at front and backend of carport with two security lights in between.
40 ft rmc above ground 16 ft under.

My bid was around 1250 with 500 in supplies and permits.

If if you have any questions in details ask. But I'm not sure new to bidding and tired of screwing myself.

I got a question with estimating a small project that I'm looking at. I'm kind a new to estimating but I'll give you a general guideline of the project.
Tapping into the panel and setting up a new circuit
romex to the crawl.
box.
rmc to wall penetration outside the home then apx 16' underground.
Up a metal carport framework to dual outdoor switch.
To the top of carport to the first light.
Out to to a motion at front another at the backend of carport with one security light in between.
40 ft rmc above ground 16 ft underground.

My bid was around 1250 with 500 in supplies and permits & 750 in labor.

If if you have any questions in details ask. But I'm not sure new to bidding and tired of screwing myself. Altogether I'm estimating myself and a helper at 10 hours, 20 total. IS This conservative or under estimate on time with everything involved including trimming out the job, cleanup, walking inspections, etc.

I just edited the field above was reading through and it wasn't clear and there was a couple problems with job description.

The question I have is the labor, I know the material and permit costs are exactly where they are supposed to be. $1250 are to me seems kinda high for someone to want to put a couple 45 dollar security lights in.

mgookin

I'll take a shot at this. Maybe someone else will chime in tomorrow.

If you look at the $750 labor and take out $200 for company overhead (van, fuel, tools, maintenance, office costs, licensing, insurances, etc.) that leaves $550 for 10 hours. That's an average of $27.50 per hour per man. Put 2/3 of the labor to you and 1/3 to the helper. You're getting $18.33/ hr for the helper and $36.67/ hr for you. You've covered your costs and earned a $72k annual salary.

I haven't done any contracting in many decades. I also don't know your market.

Are you happy making that money?

It does sound high to charge $1,250 to install a couple $45 lights but I'm sure the owner will see all the work necessary to make it happen.

John120/240

The question I have is the labor, I know the material and permit costs are exactly where they are supposed to be. $1250 are to me seems kinda high for someone to want to put a couple 45 dollar security lights in.

High $$, Well the price that you can get for your work varies a whole lot from Cumberland Furnace, Tenn. to New York City.

Do you know your true cost of being in business ?
*Wages
*Insurance (Health, Business, Worker s Comp, Vehicle, etc)
*Office rent
*Tools
* Telephones
*Vacation fund
*Retirement
*Etc, Etc

Ellen Rohr has a weekend business plan, it comes highly recommended by some here at the Forum

You mention $1250 for the job minus $500 for material, that leaves $750 for labor. For example $75/hr gives you 10 hours to complete the job. Only you have seen the job site conditions.
What is the customers return on their investment in these security lights ? Lower homeowners insurance ?

I'll take a shot at this. Maybe someone else will chime in tomorrow.

If you look at the $750 labor and take out $200 for company overhead (van, fuel, tools, maintenance, office costs, licensing, insurances, etc.) that leaves $550 for 10 hours. That's an average of $27.50 per hour per man. Put 2/3 of the labor to you and 1/3 to the helper. You're getting $18.33/ hr for the helper and $36.67/ hr for you. You've covered your costs and earned a $72k annual salary.

I haven't done any contracting in many decades. I also don't know your market.

Are you happy making that money?

It does sound high to charge $1,250 to install a couple $45 lights but I'm sure the owner will see all the work necessary to make it happen.

I do not have an issue with the rate I'm pricing this at I'm just not sure of the value of it the homeowner might. I'm new at contracting but not new to electrical and I'm not sure what someone else might charge for the same project. I might be overpriced maybe I'm under I have no doubts in how to do jobs like this but I do estimating them.

High $$, Well the price that you can get for your work varies a whole lot from Cumberland Furnace, Tenn. to New York City.

Do you know your true cost of being in business ?
*Wages
*Insurance (Health, Business, Worker s Comp, Vehicle, etc)
*Office rent
*Tools
* Telephones
*Vacation fund
*Retirement
*Etc, Etc

Ellen Rohr has a weekend business plan, it comes highly recommended by some here at the Forum

You mention $1250 for the job minus $500 for material, that leaves $750 for labor. For example $75/hr gives you 10 hours to complete the job. Only you have seen the job site conditions.
What is the customers return on their investment in these security lights ? Lower homeowners insurance ?

Mom cofortable with the rate myself with overhead and everything else I just not sure if it's comparable to the market value for this installation.

JFletcher

There are jobs where labor is 90%+ of the work; like replacing gas lights, long driveway trenching for lights...pretty much anything involving trenching. Just a dedicated GFCI receptacle in a crawlspace can be a 90% labor job. Its not the cost of the lights, its that a person will feel secure at night; remember that.

jmo103

Mom cofortable with the rate myself with overhead and everything else I just not sure if it's comparable to the market value for this installation.

So because someone else is willing to do a job for $10/hour, you should have to? If you are comfortable with the hours and materials estimated, then take the hourly rate you expect, extend if out and that's the cost. If the customer doesn't like it, they can pound sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.