multiple baseboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Can I put 2- 8' base boards on the same circuit? 10.4 amps each. Can you find a t-stat rated to withstand 20.8 amps load? If so where? 2-8' baseboards controlled by one t-stat. 30amp breaker?Anyone ever do this?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I never have... but then again, I've probably only installed maybe a handful in my lifetime as I've not done much residential work.

A quick web search indicated many t-stats are rated 22A.

A 30A breaker would be required under 424.3(B).

kwired

Electron manager
If cost is a concern, it will cost less to use two thermostats then to go the contactor route. You can go with 15 amp circuits and 14 AWG if only supplying one heater per circuit as well.

I just realized you said 10.4 amps each. The typical 240 volt baseboard heater is 250 watts per foot. An 8 footer should only draw about 8.3 amps @ 240 volts. If you put it on a 208 volt system the wattage and current will be less.

Add: 10.4 amps is what you need for ampacity when considering 125% needed for continuous load though.

JFletcher

Can I put 2- 8' base boards on the same circuit? 10.4 amps each. Can you find a t-stat rated to withstand 20.8 amps load? If so where? 2-8' baseboards controlled by one t-stat. 30amp breaker?Anyone ever do this?

yes you can: 10 ga wire, 30A 2p breaker and one of these:

22A:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywel...LDlolxXH_ATL1--jsaA9ivFft1wMhKQAfNRoCY5Hw_wcB

Might be easier to run 2 14ga 15A homeruns to 2 thermostats than 1 10ga to 1 and daisy chain the second heater from there, and i would go the 2 hr route unless the bb heaters are in the same room. Ive done it both ways. just remember fixed space heating limits your ampacity to 80% of the circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.