Bearing failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
It apparently is flange mounted which isn't an issue, what everyone is missing is that it has openings for ventilation that need to be at the bottom when installed or else rain, and everything else in that environment that becomes airborne will get into the motor, this includes waste product that is being pumped along with dirt/dust from the feedyard this is associated with. The wind is guaranteed to move some of those types of materials around in this state

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
.. what everyone is missing is that it has openings for ventilation that need to be at the bottom when installed.....
No one is missing that fact, or at least not everyone. The op mentions that a roof over the motor is promised, and the vents would be one of the criteria that I'm sure many of us took note of when we determined it was a horizontal motor.

kwired

Electron manager
No one is missing that fact, or at least not everyone. The op mentions that a roof over the motor is promised, and the vents would be one of the criteria that I'm sure many of us took note of when we determined it was a horizontal motor.
Roof adds some life to that application, but is very difficult to say how much.

Leaky coupling in the discharge line may totally counter the effects of the roof, more so then getting rainwater into the motor will. Been around a lot of that kind of equipment, things happen, and they are never the perfect environment no matter what precautions you have taken.

General purpose TEFC motor in that instance still may not be the ideal motor but will generally have better results then one with any ventilation openings at all.

Then you get those times of the year when they pull the pontoon out of the water - and it fills up with dirt and other debris and may have been better off for the motor itself if it stayed in the water.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The flange is for mounting the pump to the motor. In this case, there are no provisions for support of the motor via the pump. None. The few flange mount motors I have seen don't have feet. Note "few".

I suppose it it could happen that a mfg would put tapered bearings in a motor that is very obviously designed in all other aspects to be horizontal.

Besoeker

The flange is for mounting the pump to the motor. In this case, there are no provisions for support of the motor via the pump. None. The few flange mount motors I have seen don't have feet. Note "few".

I suppose it it could happen that a mfg would put tapered bearings in a motor that is very obviously designed in all other aspects to be horizontal.
Spot on........:thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager

Having a "TC" frame is somewhat common in 2 Hp and less, but don't know I have ever seen one over 10 HP.

Can you even get a general purpose motor with other then standard radial ball bearings?

Tony S

Flange mounts can also support the motor body, they aren’t just for hanging a pump on.

So your point about it being flange mounted was?

My point is a taper bearing motor can run in either plane as long as the bearings are correctly preloaded.

Besoeker

Flange mounts can also support the motor body, they aren’t just for hanging a pump on.

My point is a taper bearing motor can run in either plane as long as the bearings are correctly preloaded.
But we don't know that it had taper bearings and given that it has feet for horizontal foot mounting, taper bearings are not very likely.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Having a "TC" frame is somewhat common in 2 Hp and less, but don't know I have ever seen one over 10 HP.
In hydraulic pump applications, very common to at least 125 hp. I only limit there from personal experience.

We routinely see 125 hp and 100 kW with "C", "D", and metric flanges.

Besoeker

In hydraulic pump applications, very common to at least 125 hp. I only limit there from personal experience.

We routinely see 125 hp and 100 kW with "C", "D", and metric flanges.

The application is, I assume, pumping water since it's a fountain.

kwired

Electron manager
The application is, I assume, pumping water since it's a fountain.
OP's application?

Look at what is in the background, that is a lagoon with manure slurry in it, though maybe more livestock producers should put fountains in their lagoons for beautification purposes:cool:

Besoeker

OP's application?

Look at what is in the background, that is a lagoon with manure slurry in it, though maybe more livestock producers should put fountains in their lagoons for beautification purposes:cool:
Oops1 Wrong thread. Still water though.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
OP's application?

Dairy. 3000 head. Most of the solids have been separated with the remaining liquid pumped to pivot irrigation. This will travel about 2.5 miles IIRC.

High pressure pivots normally are a thing of beauty. Not so much these.

kwired

Electron manager
Dairy. 3000 head. Most of the solids have been separated with the remaining liquid pumped to pivot irrigation. This will travel about 2.5 miles IIRC.

High pressure pivots normally are a thing of beauty. Not so much these.
I recall seeing some real beauties when they pumped overnight in late fall and some colorful ice build up on the pivot.:blink:

mgookin

OP's application?

I didn't realize that it was a manure slurry. Is there a well to feed it some fresh water to dilute it?

Status
Not open for further replies.