Outside Dimmer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael15956

Customer has an outside switch with a weatherproof cover to switch an outside receptacle for plug-in lights on a pergola. Customer has now asked if the lights can be dimmed somehow. He thought that there is a weatherproof dimmer switch. I said I would check, but I thought that we couldn't dim a receptacle.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See 404.14(E). To dim a receptacle the receptacle would have to be a special configuration listed for dimming.

Roger

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Put in a 2 gang box, give him a regular duplex receptacle on one side and put in a toggle type dimmer on the other side. Then you can use a lever type outdoor cover plate for the dimmer.
Doesn't prevent him from plugging something into it that should not be plugged into a dimmed receptacle though.

360187-ProductImageURL.jpg

p_SCW_089_07.jpg

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just think what would happen if someone plugged a drill into a dimmed socket :rant:
The drill would run slower... Handheld power drill motors are universal motors, so voltage control is how you control the speed.

I know what you meant however. There are a lot of loads one could plug into it that would be damaged by low voltage.

Michael15956

Put in a 2 gang box, give him a regular duplex receptacle on one side and put in a toggle type dimmer on the other side. Then you can use a lever type outdoor cover plate for the dimmer.
Doesn't prevent him from plugging something into it that should not be plugged into a dimmed receptacle though.

View attachment 15138

View attachment 15139

Clever idea there Jraef! I think this will work! The receptacle is 8 feet high on this pergola and to be used only for plugin party lights. I can warn the customer not to be the receptacle for anything else.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Nice idea. The lever dimmer pictured either has a dimming toggle with a low end slide setting, which would work, or has an on-off toggle with dimming only via the slide. If the latter, you would have to take the cover off to change the dimmer setting.
Hopefully that will be obvious to anyone who actually tries it, but the image is potentially misleading.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The drill would run slower... Handheld power drill motors are universal motors, so voltage control is how you control the speed.

I know what you meant however. There are a lot of loads one could plug into it that would be damaged by low voltage.

But the dimmer switch would burn out in most cases- NO

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Nice idea. The lever dimmer pictured either has a dimming toggle with a low end slide setting, which would work, or has an on-off toggle with dimming only via the slide. If the latter, you would have to take the cover off to change the dimmer setting.
Hopefully that will be obvious to anyone who actually tries it, but the image is potentially misleading.
Good catch, you're right. The Toggle dimmer would need to be the type that has only the toggle as the dimmer mechanism, not the type that has the slider next to the toggle. I honestly didn't look that closely at the switch image, I was just scrambling to find any image to describe it. The best image was actually on a Home Depot site, but they don't allow referencing to their images.

Here's one that fits the bill... Leviton doesn't allow referencing either though.
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=6641-W&section=48678&minisite=10251

If it were me, I'd break the tab on the duplex receptacle and only feed the top one from the dimmer, make the bottom one a direct line feed, just in case. Then put a label on it telling the user that the upper one is dimmed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.