Swimming pool code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
A friend of mine got failed on a pool job he did because the factory cord on the pool pump was 14 gauge wire.
680.7 B states it has to have a 12 AWG ground, but the pump is UL listed as is with the factory cord. Who're right in this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A friend of mine got failed on a pool job he did because the factory cord on the pool pump was 14 gauge wire.
680.7 B states it has to have a 12 AWG ground, but the pump is UL listed as is with the factory cord. Who're right in this?

UL has nothing to do directly with the NEC so IMO the inspector is correct

GerryB

I would say the pool company or the HO failed, not your friend. The #8 ground hits the lug on the pump so IMO the inspector should let it go, but I guess he's not. Just thinking every pool pump I remember doing came with a 20a twistlock on it.

kwired

Electron manager
I would say the pool company or the HO failed, not your friend. The #8 ground hits the lug on the pump so IMO the inspector should let it go, but I guess he's not. Just thinking every pool pump I remember doing came with a 20a twistlock on it.
I agree that the equipment manufacturer may be the one that failed. If it is listed as is there is nothing wrong with it. It is possible it is listed but somehow doesn't meet the listing standards.

The #8 ground lug on the pump has nothing to do with this though. It is for equipotential bonding conductor to land there not for equipment grounding purposes. They are two separate functions.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
So the inspector called and told him since it was manufactured and listed as so it's OK. He said he will bring it up at the board though, I think he said it was is in Tewksbury in case anyone was interested. It's nice to see good inspectors out there who will do their homework and not use the because I said so tactict.

Status
Not open for further replies.